Chapter 4: Be There for You

Wonderland is known as the land of madness, where nothing is as it seems, and everything is as topsy-turvy as a rabbit running past you is wearing a waistcoat and a pocket watch, talking playing cards painting white roses red, and where tea time is all the time...

"No wonder Ally was desperate to come to Auradon, this is where things make sense," Mal mutters, reading the latest chapter in her restricted book.

As of recently, the daughter of Maleficent had spent every moment of her free time reading the book, consuming the information within its pages. Her eyes had been opened so very wide and she couldn't believe what she had learned about the worlds outside of Auradon and the Isle. Like anyone who realized that there are multiple worlds besides their own, she got a headache just thinking about it. She made a list of the worlds that were interesting, especially a place called Oz, which had a city completely made of emeralds. That would be quite the find and a valuable place to visit.

However, the world that interested her the most was The Land Without Magic, a place where everything was completely upside down and weird. In this world, magic does not exist at all, except in a handful of places and even then, no one there ever believed in it. The world was infamous for having a variety of versions of Auradon's and the Isle's stories; they were known as "fairy tales," meaning imaginary or made up. There were movies about their parents, said to have been created by a man named Walter Disney... what a strange name. Mal noticed a picture of a mouse with red shorts, yellow shoes, and white gloves and wonders; was he Walter Disney? If that was the case, then there really was magic in this land and people didn't know about it. But there was no mention of the students of Auradon as children. Jafar, Cruella, Belle and Adam, Alice, Tinkerbelle, and her mother... everyone's stories apparently ended at "happily ever after," no offspring of any kind.

"It's like we never existed," Mal mutters to herself.

She suddenly hears footsteps coming down the hall, she quickly shoves the book under her bed and pretends to be interested in her phone.

"Hey," Evie says, poking her head in.

"Hey."

"Do you mind if I let Doug and the other 7 sons come in and bring the fashion stuff out of here?"

"Out of here?" Mal asks in confusion.

Ever since Evie had become the campus fashion designer, their shared room had also become her fashion studio, not that Mal really minded, only if nobody touched her stuff and since the purple-haired teen didn't bring a lot of stuff from Isle over, it didn't really matter.

"Yeah, Dizzy and I had a little meeting and we agreed that we should move the studio to her room. Since Ben gave her a room to herself as a special treat so I figured we could use the extra room, plus you're probably sick of me hogging all the space."

"To be honest, I couldn't care less," Mal says.

She grabs the books from under her bed, shoves them into her bag and gets up to leave.

"Where are you going?" Evie asks.

The daughter of the Evil Queen had noticed her friend's more aloof behaviour recently and it worried her. Mal had become distant and even angry when she had forced herself to be the "perfect girlfriend" for the Royal Cotillion and then she had taken off for the Isle after her fight with Ben. No one wanted a repeat of that again.

"I'm going for a walk down by the seashore," Mal says casually.

"You seem to be doing that a lot lately."