Chapter 90: Something Worth Keeping

It takes a moment for her eyesight to return. Evie blinks a few times and even rubs her eyelids to allow them to recover. Her head also needs to stop spinning and her heart racing at an alarming rate.

She takes a deep breath in and closes her eyes once more.

Breathe Evie breathe, she mutters to herself. Just chill for once.

When she finally gets her bearings, the daughter of the Evil Queen opens her eyes and looks around. She's no longer standing amongst her friends and fellow onlookers, those who watched as the kids from Auradon tried their magic for the first time. She's in a wooded clearing, surrounded by towering trees and soft patches of moss and soil beneath her knees. The sun is peeking its way between the branches, creating a warm atmosphere and the only sounds are the birds and their chirps to one another. There were also a cluster of flowers nearby and a large boulder adjacent to a tree. How she got here is beyond what she wants to think about right now, but it was a pleasant area. Pleasing to the eye and it felt comforting and safe... like it was someone's happy place.

She inhales again before getting out of the dirt. She brushes her pants off, glad that they were borrowed and not her own, and she stumbles to the boulder.

Taking a seat, Evie then buries her head in her hands and lets the tears come again.

Why? Why was she given magic? Why couldn't she be normal like Doug or Carlos? Why did she have to have this chaotic and uncontrollable force?

Back in Auradon, the only magic she'd really used was spells and her magic mirror. Spells were easy because you had to recite words to get them to work, but the magic here... you never know when it's going to strike.

She's not sure what Regina, Emma and Crystal are thinking, trying to teach them how to wield their magic because once they go home, it'll be different, and they'll all feel normal again.

"I want to be normal... I don't want this!" she weeps quietly.

Suddenly, blue light enters her vision, and she recoils back from her hands. Again, they are glowing bright blue and it's terrifying. Never had Evie ever thought that she'd want to have no hands. She holds them as far away as she can.

She remembers what Crystal told her about magic being connected to her emotions.

Tears continue to roll down her face and she shakes her hands in an attempt to douse the light.

However, the opposite happens.

Some form of magic exits her right hand and explodes into a nearby tree.

Evie lets out a scream and looks on in horror because a chunk of the tree is gone, and the bark is blackened and smouldering from where it was struck.

"STOP IT!" she yells at her hands like they have a mind of their own.

She faces her palms inwards, but the blue light becomes more intense, almost blinding, and hotter. Her skin feels like it's burning.

She puts her hands on the rock, but the second they make contact, the boulder rumbles before cracking.

The daughter of the Evil Queen screams again and leaps off the rock in fear. She backs away from the now cracked rock, her body shaking erratically in panic, and her breath ragged from crying.

Just make it stop! She begs in her mind. Please make it stop!

She collapses to her knees and buries her hands in the dirt.

"Please..." she whimpers to herself. "I don't want to be like this..."

She closes her eyes, letting her blue hair fall into her face, creating a sort of veil so she doesn't have to look at anything. Her tears fall and drip down into the dirt. The blue light can still be seen, despite the cool earth seeming to soothe the burning sensation.