Chapter 9: Framed for Nothing

None of the VKs speak all of them just stare in utter horror at the objects that have fallen out of Mal's locker. The objects that were supposed to have been stolen from Fairy Godmother's vault, which formerly belonged to two of the four friends in the group.

Carlos looks up at Mal in shock and then down at the items again. Dude comes up and sniffs the objects to investigate further.

"Definitely belonged to you guys," the pup confirmed. He sits at his master's feet while everyone looks back at Mal.

"Mal..." Evie begins. "You didn't."

"Why would I Evie? I have no reason to. I don't want the spell book anymore."

"Shhh!" Jay hisses. "Don't let anyone hear you. It'll just make it worse."

"Then why were they in your locker Mal?" Evie whispers.

"I don't know. And this hoodie isn't even mine," the daughter of Maleficent says, kicking the dark blue hoodie with the image of a crown on the back. None of the friends want to pick up the objects for fear that it would frame them.

"It smells weird," Dude says. "It's almost like..."

But Carlos interrupts his canine companion before he can finish. "Then how did it get in your locker?"

"I don't know Carlos!" Mal snarls, her eyes becoming green again. "I didn't take any of this!"

Evie puts her hand on her friend's shoulder. "We believe you Mal, but if you didn't do it, who did?"

"Guys, I think it was..." Dude begins.

Suddenly, a voice comes over the loudspeaker. The group realizes that it's Fairy Godmother's.

"Attention students of Auradon Prep. As you are all aware, there was a break-in in my office and vault last night in which many of my things were vandalized and several items that were stolen. These items were being kept in my vault until the museum renovations have been completed and they could be safely returned. The head guards on the case are launching a full-scale investigation of the school so you are advised to remain clear of the hallways by my office. The security tapes have been reviewed and it is impossible to identify the culprit from the footage. However, what can be determined is that the thief was wearing a sweatshirt with a crown on the back of it..."

The four VKs look down in horror of the hoodie that still lay on the floor. It matched the description perfectly.

"...And they took many magical items including spellbooks, cauldrons, hazel stones, potion ingredients, and a magic mirror. If any of you students find these items, please return them to my office immediately and if you have any information about who might have done these terrible things, please talk to the investigating guards. Thank you, that is all."

The group of friends are paralyzed, panicking about the evidence has just appeared at their feet. It all appeared to frame Mal for the crime, but her friends trusted her and knew she wouldn't do something like this.

Without thinking much further, Mal picks up the spell book and mirror and wraps them in the hoodie before shoving them back into her locker.

"What are you doing?!" Evie gasps in a panic.

"No sure," Mal mutters under her breath in agony. Her head hurt in the most painful way, not only was all the VKs being accused of a crime they did not commit but now there was evidence to make them look even guiltier. Her heart is pounding in her chest and her stomach churns in anxiety as well as anger. Everything was just getting worse and worse for them as if someone was doing it on purpose, trying to get them all in trouble, or worse expelled.

"Mal we have to take those things to Fairy Godmother," Evie insists.

"And do you think she will listen when we say we just 'found' them in my locker? That doesn't seem suspicious at all."

"But hiding them in your locker isn't less so?" Evie says.

"Hey, guys..." Dude says at their feet.

"Mal this is only going to get you in more trouble," Carlos says.

"ME?!" she gasps in horror. "I see, so it was me who did this!"

"You know that's not what he meant," Evie says, becoming frustrated with Mal's temper and impatience. Sure, she felt just as upset about this entire situation, but her best friend's anger is not going to solve anything.

"That's what it sounded like," she snaps back. She slams her locker shut, tired of all these accusations. She uses some of her magic to put a protective spell on the door so none of her friends tried to break in and turn the items in. "Those... things are staying in my locker until I can find who the real culprit is and make them confess to it."

"Mal that's not your job," Jay states.

"It is if someone's framing me for it," Mal hisses angrily. She bites her lip. She knows she shouldn't be getting mad at her friends, but she can't help it any longer. They are all accepting of the fact that they are being accused of a crime that they did not commit and not standing up for their place of origin. They were Isle kids, they should be proud of their heritage and not be afraid to fight for what was right. "You know what? Leave me alone, until you guys understand what I'm feeling right now and figure out what I'm fighting for, come and find me. I have a chemistry lab to clean out anyway."

With a flash of her purple hair, Mal hustles down the hallway in a huff of anger. Her eyes still glow, not just with rage, but the determination to find the real culprit and put a stop to their plans. She was not going to let all this fall apart for her or anyone else she cared about.

The three remaining friends stand, saddened by Mal pushing them away again, letting her anger get the better of her and generally making things worse. They all looked at each other for a long time before sighing and heading off in the opposite direction, hurt and confused. The only being that remained at the scene was the furry, four-legged companion of Carlos, who sat there and for the first time since he'd been given a voice being unable to speak. He's watching the friendship fall apart in front of him. His tail drops to the floor and he paws once or twice at the ground before going after his master. He had to say something, he knew that Mal hadn't done anything.