Chapter 81: Hello My Heart

Crystal is unsure of how to approach the guy she sort of had a crush on and sort of didn't. She sighs as she continues to search for Harry along the shoreline. If he truly was the son of Captain Hook, the best place for him to go and think would be by the sea. The daughter of the Dark One also preferred to do her thinking close to the scenic areas near bodies of water, especially at sunset. She truly believed that the simplest and most beautiful moments to behold were when one was watching the sun sink beneath the horizon, the golden light bathing the skies with vivid pinks and oranges.

While growing up, the highlight of any summer was when she and her mom would spend a week or two at a lake house. How her mother afforded such a place on her meagre salary, Crystal would never know but these trips were the absolute best. The sandy beaches, the cool lakes, the campfires, the ice cream, the boat trips, and of course the sunsets. This was how she learned to swim and spent almost the entire day in the water until her fingers were wrinkled and her nose was peeling from the sun. It was one of the few times in her life that the daughter of Rumpelstiltskin felt truly normal. The demonic voice that bothered her mind seemed to be put on mute (or go on vacation itself), allowing relief and true happiness.

Looking back on it now, Crystal knew that her best memories were when she was sitting with her mom on the beach. No fighting, no torment, no shift work, no rent to worry about, nothing but them and the open water. These moments were also not tainted by the truth about who they were and where they had actually come from. The one time her father and his darkness had not influenced her life. Just shutting her eyes she can see it; the wind was blowing off the lake, the waves were lapping against the shore, the soft sand was under their bare feet, and the warmth of the fading sun, absolutely perfect. Both mother and daughter were truly at peace with not a care in the world, leaning against one another while wrapped in a beach blanket and sharing the loving bond they always had.

While thinking about them now there is an air of sadness to be found, it is still always reassuring to Crystal that she knew what real love was and how to trust those around her.

Her shoes shift the sand beneath her feet as she keeps an eye out for Harry. While she was sure he was merely attached to the ocean because he lived on a ship most of his life, she can't imagine what his memories are like... especially ones of his parental figure. With no mother, two sisters who hated him and a father who was likely more of a wild card than her own father, it's no wonder that all these Villain Kids are angry and struggle with themselves. Uma hates the world because the world never gave her anything, Mal struggles with her feelings for Ben and to be the best person that she can be, and Harry sort of has both situations. She isn't sure if his crush on her is just an attempt at conquest, like many of her previous relationships, or if he's actually trying to change for her. Could he become dateable? Did she really want to know?

Further along, she spots a single figure standing near the water's edge. His hat was off and tossed to the side, revealing his dark brown and slightly wavy hair. His left-hand grips the fake hook so tightly that it looks as he might bend the metal or even break it in half. The waves lightly lap at his boots as Harry Hook stands at the shoreline, gazing out towards the horizon.

Unsure of how to approach him, Crystal slips back to the trees and watches from afar.

His slumped posture indicates that he's defeated, possibly depressed. He truly is a lost boy and doesn't know where to turn. She doesn't doubt that he's been crying too, who wouldn't when you're questioning your morality and just had a massive fight with the person who was supposed to be your best friend.

Eventually, Harry begins picking up rocks and pitches them into the water in anger. Occasionally, she hears him growl and moan in frustration. Each splash is a way to vent his feelings. All this pent up anger and confusion, it's enough to drive someone insane.