Chapter 31: Friends and Family

"Evie, I'm so glad you're okay," Mal sighs in great relief, hugging her friend tightly.

"Mal, where are we? What happened? Where is everyone? Is Ben okay?" She then turns to see Uma, who is still slightly stunned from Mal practically attacking her a few moments ago. "Uma, what did you do?"

"We're in The Land Without Magic..."

"You mean that realm you talked about with Ben and Ariel,"

"Yeah... Wait, how did you know that?"

"Excuse me, Miss?" Dr. Whale says, coming up to the girls. "Now that you're awake, we have to give you a full medical examination."

"But..." Evie then looks at her best friend. However, the stylist does not miss a beat. "Who is the guy with the dye job? That does not suit your colour pallet at all."

"He's Dr. Whale," Mal explains.

"What's wrong with my hair?" Whale asks in confusion, running his hand through the spikey tips. While Regina did not particularly like his new style either, he was not used to random strangers completely shooting him down because of his appearance.

"It's a bleached dye job, with punk rock tips... it's..." Evie frowns and wrinkles her nose. "Not ideal for a man in your profession."

"What? So suddenly Lady Blue Hair is the fashion expert?" the doctor protests with a similar attitude.

"I happen to run the most successful fashion studio at Auradon Preparatory School and I have my own brand of clothing."

"Well great, congratulations, Lady Blue but in this hospital, I'm the head doctor of the successful Storybrooke General Hospital and I need you to come with me."

"I have a name you know, it's Evie," the daughter of the Evil Queen snaps.

"Well Evie, if you want to ever leave this hospital, I will have to give you a medical examination. Now would you please go back to your hospital room?"

Mal sighs, knowing that there was no way of avoiding this. "Come on E, I'll come with you, it won't take too long. I promise"

The blue-haired teen looks at her friend and then sighs knowing it was better to get this over with as soon as possible so she could get some answers to the questions buzzing around in her head. As Evie follows the doctor, Mal turns to finish confronting Uma, only to see that Shrimpy has slunk away; typical she was obviously not willing to face-off against two VKs instead of one... or it's possible that Mal's reaction had scared her away, which was unlikely.

The girls follow Dr. Whale back down the hall, past the Storybrooke group and into one of the hospital rooms. Evie's purse lay on the nightstand next to the bed and the covers had been clumped together indicating that the daughter of the Evil Queen had pushed them away to go and find her friends.

The bleach-haired doctor directs the fairest princess of them all to sit on the bed. He puts on rubber gloves and does the same examination he'd done before with Mal; checking all her vitals and searching for any other injuries. He does find a few scratches and a bump on the back of Evie's head, likely caused by coming out of the portal. He treats the scratches with antiseptic or whatever it was he called it, causing the wounds to sting just a little and for the teen to bite her lip in pain. Dr. Whale then had a nurse bring some ice for the back of the girl's head. Evie holds onto Mal's hand as the doctor takes a sample of her blood too, cringing the entire time. Once she's all finished, he leaves the two girls in peace.

Mal and Evie tightly embrace again, tears starting to come to their eyes.

"Evie," Mal weeps. "I-I'm so sorry about what happened..."