Chapter 75: Tension

"Carlos?" Belle says.

The son of Cruella practically jumps out of his skin when someone says his name. He turns to the beauty who is carrying a stack of books to the table.

"Y-Yes?"

"Can you please go to the Enchanted Objects section for me? There are a few volumes that I couldn't carry. There's one with a blue spine, another with a brown dust jacket, and the last one is missing the back cover."

"S-Sure, where is the section?"

"On the far end of the building, close to the back."

"Okay," he says before disappearing behind the bookshelves.

Both Regina and Belle have stacks and stacks of books on one of the tables. The former Evil Queen is not particularly pleased to be doing the research part of their mission, but anything beat being near the half-octopus diva who smelled like sun-dried seaweed. She never had a particular liking for Ursula, even when they were working together to find the Author. Their egos clashed too often, and it didn't help that Regina was secretly working for the heroes at the time either, meaning the trust between the queens of darkness was non-existent.

She also knew that her knowledge of potions and ingredients was important, something only the Dark One could rival her in. She felt it was better to have another adult help with the research anyways; knowing teenagers, they'd be sneaking looks at their phones before too long. They didn't have the attention span required, even if this was for their overall benefit of going home. Ben had a large book open on the table, trying to read it, but Regina knew that his eyes were already glazing over. She did give him credit for trying to help.

Meanwhile, both sets of twins were babysitting the younger ones to keep them quiet. Simon and Whitney took turns reading to Neal and it made the queen almost vomit the happy and cheerful tales that they chose. They truly were Snow and David's children, reading all about hope and happiness. Paige and Patrick were also reading to Gideon, their nephew evidently... thank god there was never a family reunion in Storybrooke because everyone would be related to everyone and it would just be too weird. Even though the baby was only interested in grabbing at the pages, he seemed to enjoy the attention and the occasional hug from Paige. It was an unusual scene that was for sure, but it kept the noise to a minimum.

Regina watches as Carlos vanishes behind the bookshelves. The kid was extremely jumpy, more so than she expected. She suspects that he's hiding something but can't be sure of what. She knew that kind of demeanour too well... if only she had Emma's lying superpower then she could confront him about it. She hears his footsteps grow fainter as he appears to be going to the correct section, but she can hear the hesitation and the slowed movement of his steps.

...

Why are you doing this Carlos? He thinks to himself. Don't you want to go home?

Of course, I do, but what about meeting your mother?

He goes to the Enchanted Items section and begins to search for the books. It doesn't take him too long to find them and he pulls the stack into his arms. As he begins going back to the table, his eyes go back to where the recipe for the portals lay. He wants so badly to just go and get it.

"Here you go," he says, putting them on the table.

"Thank you, Carlos," Belle says smiling. She's finishing scanning through one book and reaching for the next. Her ability to speed read is impressive to the son of Cruella and her alternate son.

"Wow, you're a fast reader," Ben comments.

"Well, whenever there's a world-ending crisis that threatens the town, you learn how to pick up the pace," Belle smirks at her joke. Once and a while, the bookworm could be witty with sarcasm.