Chapter 5: Secrets to Learn

Ben steps back in what seems to be shocked, trying to take Mal with him, but the VK is unafraid of the visitor. Mal gets closer to the edge of the water.

"Hi Ariel," Mal says, cheerfully.

"Hi Mal of Auradon," the redheaded mermaid says, floating in the shallowness of the lake.

"Just Mal is okay," the teen responds.

"Okay Mal is okay, how have you been?"

"Pretty good, did you make it home in time to see Eric,"

"Oh in plenty of time, whirlpools really cut time in half,"

"Can they really?"

"Uh, Mal..." Ben speaks up. Both girls turn from their conversation to the slightly frightened king on the shore.

"Oh Ben, sorry this is Ariel."

"Is he your boyfriend?" Ariel giggles. "He's really cute, good choice."

The ladies giggle to one another.

"He's also the King of Auradon."

"Oooh, royalty is even better."

The ladies giggle again

"Queen Ariel?" Ben asks

"I guess so," the mermaid shrugs.

"What are you doing in Auradon?" he asks, still in shock.

"Exploring I guess, I just found this amazing treasure," Ariel holds up Mal's old bracelet. Inwardly, Mal is happy that the fish took the bait, she could now talk to the mermaid about the other worlds that she's been to. "I'm going to add it to my collection."

"But... you should be in your kingdom by the sea with King Eric... If you're here to check on Melody..."

"Melody, who's Melody?" the mermaid asks.

"Your daughter."

"I don't have a daughter. I mean Eric and I have thought about having kids, but we just haven't got around to it. Anyways, Eric and I don't have a kingdom, we live in a small fishing cabin in the Enchanted Forest."

Ben looks very bewildered, but Mal seems very calm, the redhead just confirming her long thought theory about where this mermaid came from.

"What... What is the Enchanted Forest?!"

Mal turns and whispers to Ariel. "I think we need to tell him about going across the realms thing."

"You know about that?"

"I've been doing research about it."

"Smart girl, you're just like my friend Belle in Storybrooke, her nose is always in a book."

"S-Storybrooke? I didn't re...hear about a land like that."

"It's in the Land Without Magic."

"It is?"

"Yes, it's a very nice place..."

"Belle... you mean my mother?" Ben asks, coming closer to the shoreline.

Ariel cocks her head to the side curiously. "The Belle I know does have a son, but his name is Gideon. He's a very cute kid..."

"Wait. wait, wait, the Belle you know?! Mal what is going on? How do you know her?"

"Well this is clearly a couple problem, I won't bother you anymore..." Ariel turns to swim away.

"No!" Mal says. "Please stay. If I explain this to Ben, he might not believe me unless I have a back-up to confirm it."