Chapter 1: New Worlds

"Mal, are you coming or not?" Evie asks from in front of her vanity mirror, which was illuminated by bright lightbulbs.

"I think I'll pass tonight thanks," the daughter of Maleficent says, laying on her bed, with her purple hair spread out on her pillow like a fan.

"Come on, Moonlight Madness is supposed to be the most romantic dance of the whole semester," the daughter of the Evil Queen, says, putting the final touches on her makeup. "Besides, it's Dizzy's first real dance since coming to Auradon."

"I know, she's only told me like a thousand times. I sit next to her in Chemistry remember?"

"Oh, that's right, sorry, but seriously how can kissing under the moonlight not be romantic for you and Ben...? Wait, did Ben cancel again tonight?"

"Yeah, more royal paperwork," Mal sighs.

"When was the last time you guys actually had a real date?"

"When was the Royal Cotillion?"

Evie shoots her bestie a look.

"Fine, two weeks ago, but it wasn't even a real date, we just ate lunch together in his office. We didn't really get to see each other over the summer anyway." This was true as while Mal stayed on campus the whole time, Ben had to go touring through the different kingdoms to recruit more students for Auradon Prep.

Evie sits on the edge of her friend's bed. "That's something..."

Mal just rolls away from her friend. Even though she and Ben were true love, it did not mean life was going to be happy and cheery, the happily ever after type... Ben had his responsibilities as the King and Mal to her school work and lady of the court... it was hard to manage their lives and find time for each other.

There's an eager knocking at the door. Evie opens it to see an excited Dizzy, all dressed up in a rainbow skirt, a fancy top, and the nicest pair of glasses she can find. Her hair is in her favourite pigtail style and she has her headphones around her neck.

"Evie, you look so pretty," the youngest of the VK group squeals.

"You look so awesome too Diz,"

"Do I look okay? Did I try to pick the best of my glasses? Should I have gone with pigtails or maybe braids? What about an orange skirt instead of rainbow. What about purple shoes, do they match..."

"Dizzy," Evie says, putting her hand on her friend's shoulder. "Take a breath, you look fine, just maybe lose the headphones, you want to be able to hear when boys give you compliments," She takes them off and unintentionally tosses them onto Mal's bed.

"There, now you look like you're ready for a party,"

"Do you really think I'll meet my prince charming tonight?"

"Who knows, anything is possible, but slow down Dizzy this is only your first dance, there will be tonnes more. Tonight should just be all about having fun," Evie says confidently.

"Is Mal coming?"

"Not tonight," is the answer from her bed.

Dizzy pokes her head in to see her other friend. "How come, isn't Ben coming?"

"Not tonight, he's busy again, besides, I don't want cameras in my face the whole night anyways."

"You know Ben fixed that right?" Evie says. "Only for important royal events, now."

"I just don't feel like going anywhere that's all," Mal says. "But have fun at your first dance Dizzy."

"Thanks, Mal, I'll see you on Monday for chemistry."