Chapter 25: Battle Till the End

Mal and the group walk towards the beach, swords clenched in their grasps and their eyes glaring forward towards the water. The moon is reflected in the sea-green liquid, making it appear that a giant green jewel was floating on the water. The VKs and the AKs can see The Jolly Roger, in the distance, silhouetted in the white light of the night. Evie glances at the clock and sees that it's almost time, she puts on a brave face, but there's anxiety brewing in the pit of her stomach. Carlos feels the same way, unsure of what Uma and her crew might dish out. He knew the daughter of Ursula always had an ace up her sleeve or something else to give her an advantage. He had a bad feeling about this.

The daughter of Maleficent sucks in a deep breath, trying to remain focused. "Whatever goes down between me and Uma," Mal says. "Make sure Ben and no one else gets hurt."

"But Mal what about...?" Carlos begins.

"Forget about me, just keep your girlfriend and everyone else safe...okay?" she insists, her eyes glowing the ever-familiar green again.

"O-Okay," the son of Cruella De Vil swallows; while he was used to Mal's outbursts, his friend had become unusually scary in the past few minutes.

"And remember, keep the Dragon act as a last resort," Jay whispers.

"Just leave Shrimpy to me..."

They finally come to the beach, the group stops. It's eerily quiet, the only sound is the water lapping against the shore. Mal's mind flashes back to the first time she'd come down here, trying to get away from everything and to have some time to herself before sulking about Ben not being able to spend time with her. It's here that she discovered the possibility of new worlds, places she wanted to explore, which she might get her chance now since she's been expelled. Despite how hard she tries, she can't stop thinking about Ben. She's worried about him and her anger for Uma outweighs the sadness she felt over their breakup. He didn't deserve to be Uma's prisoner, no matter how badly he'd broken heart.

"Uma!" Mal calls out angrily. "Uma show yourself!"

There's rustling behind some trees near the shore and everyone is on guard. Doug and Dizzy are close to the tree line, ready to dispense smoke bombs when needed. The rest of the heroes are on guard, ready for anything that might come their way.

"Always was a hothead, weren't ya luv?" a familiar Scottish voice chuckles, emerging from the trees.

Harry Hook stands confidently in the gloom of the beach, his sword gleaming in the moonlight. He smirks at the group, his father's pocket watch dangling from his hand. The thing ticked unnervingly and swung back and forth like a pendulum. "Maybe that's why we never worked out Mal. Too much in common."

"Where's Ben?!" Mal demands, not in the move for Harry's games or bringing up their history.

"Who? Pretty boy? He's safe, right where he needs to be; it was so fun nicking him again, though he did put up a fight this time..."

"GIVE ME BEN!" Mal snarls, her eyes glowing a very bright green. Evie reaches out to put her hand on her best friend's shoulder to calm her down, but none of them felt very calm, wanting to get this over with.

"And looks like his entire fan club came along too," Harry sneers. "Who knew he was so loved, although not by you Mal; he wouldn't shut up about that he 'broke yer heart' and that 'you'd never forgive him.' Got really tiresome that a handkerchief in the mouth put an end to that. Least ye know how it feels to have yer heartbroken..."

"We're not your relationship therapist Harry!" Jay snaps. "Get over Mal and give us Ben."

"But where's the fun in that?" the son of Captain Hook smirks. "Here's the deal, you give me me hook back and then maybe we can bring out Mal's ex."