Chapter 19: Fight for Love

"Mal..." Evie says, knocking on the bathroom door. "Mal please open the door."

"GO AWAY!" the daughter of Maleficent screams.

"Just open the door so we can talk."

"I don't want to talk to anyone right now!"

"Please Mal..."

"I SAID GO AWAY!" She screams even louder. Evie sees a flash of green underneath the door and knows better than to press the issue any further.

Evie sighs having given the last attempt before backing away. By then, Jay, Carlos, Jane, Doug, and Dude had all shown up to the girls' room to try and make sense of the situation. Doug opens his arms to allow his girlfriend into them. She collapses against her boyfriend's chest and begins to cry quietly to herself. It hurt to see her best friend in so much pain. She just wanted to be the shoulder for Mal to cry on, but the daughter of Maleficent had shut her out; so now Doug was that shoulder for her.

"It's okay," Doug says comfortingly, rubbing her back, which he knew she liked when she was sad.

"Is it really?" Jay asks pessimistically, sitting in reverse in Mal's desk chair with his chin resting on the back.

Carlos slugs his best friend in the shoulder before offering his own arms to Dizzy, who was spooked tremendously by all the relationship drama. Obviously, the youngest of the group had yet to experience the trials and tribulations that one experiences with any relationship. If the VKs were honest, relationships were a lot worse than starving to death or battling pirates on a ship. Nothing ever seemed easy for anyone when fighting with someone you love.

"I've never seen Mal this angry," Evie whimpers. "She's never been like this before."

"Well, the last time she and Ben fought, she took off to Isle, didn't she?" Jane asks, quietly. She sits on Mal's bed with Dude in her lap as she scratched him behind the ears.

"She did, but even then, she wasn't completely angry, just sad and she tried to hide her feelings more than anything," Carlos says.

"Something must've really happened to really send her off the deep-end," Jay agrees

Jane checks her phone and realizes her mother had sent her a message. She reads it and sheds some tears.

"Something did happen..." the daughter of the Fairy Godmother says quietly.

"What?" Carlos asks.

"Mal's been suspended from Auradon."

Everyone in the room gasps.

"Are you serious?" Doug questions.

"My mom just sent me a message saying that she'd be home late because she has to fill out the paperwork for a suspension... so I assume that it was Mal."

"But why?" Dizzy asks. "What did she do wrong?"

"Do they think she's the one who stole all the chemistry stuff and vandalized the school?" Jay asks.

"It looks that way," Jane sighs heavily.

"That would make her sad, but not like this. The only time she's ever cried this hard is when she broke up with Ben the first time," Evie mentions.

"So, what happened with Ben that would make her act this way?" Jay asks.

"Well, according to the Auradon Student Handbook," Jane explains. "A suspension and expulsion can only be officially enacted by the ruling king or queen at the time..."

"So that means..." Dizzy gasps.

"Ben had to suspend her himself" Carlos finishes, his eyes wide in shock.

"Pouring salt on the wound," Jay agrees, grimacing for his friend.

"Ouch," Dude says.

"Poor Mal," Jane murmurs sadly. Carlos goes over and puts his arm around his girlfriend as she begins to cry a little bit. "Maybe I can talk to my mom, have her change her mind."

"Even if you could," Doug says. "It wouldn't help Mal and Ben."

The friends sit in silence for a long time, the only sounds were Mal's strangled and agonizing sobs coming from the bathroom. All eyes turn towards their friend... their leader. It's hard to see someone you care about suffer like this and shut everyone out. They want to give her comfort and support, but she wants nothing to do with any of them.

"But they can't stay mad at each other forever, right?" Dizzy asks. "They're true love, aren't they?"

"True Love, rare as it may be, is hard to find and even harder to fix after the love and trust are wrecked." Jane sighs.

"And it can't repair a broken heart that easily," Evie agrees.

Mal's best friend then wipes away the last of her tears, collects herself as best she can and stands up straight. She breaks from Doug's arms and turns towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Carlos asks.

"To find Ben,"

"Evie, don't..." Doug begins. "Don't get in the middle of it."

"I have to do something," the daughter of the Evil Queen says. "Ben and Mal have been through too much to just give up like this."

"But Evie..." Carlos begins.

"I don't care if it's not my relationship, but Mal is too weak to fight for what she deserves right now and sometimes, every warrior needs a backup weapon when they are wounded."

"This is love, not war," Jane points out.

"Is there ever really a difference?" she inquires. "I'll just talk to him and see if he needs a shoulder to cry on or give him the boost he requires to fight for their love. True love does not come easily to many people and it should be fought for until the bitter end."

"Everything always comes to a bitter end," Jay mutters as Evie exits the room before anyone could say anything else.

"I just hope she knows what she's doing," Doug says nervously.

"She's Evie," Dizzy says positively. "She can do anything."

A/N: Evie to the rescue! Please Review and a special shout out to Northern queen for her review.