Chapter 17: The Pain of Broken Heart

Ben holds Mal against his chest, trying to comfort her. He knows she didn't mean to hurt anyone, but her anger sometimes causes her to get carried away. While he was upset about her lying to him again, he knows he must be there for her, in her time of need.

Fairy Godmother, King Adam, and Queen Belle stand behind the desk, none of them look particularly pleased by what has transpired, but there is some sympathy felt for the girl from the Isle.

"I'm... sorry," Mal weeps. "I'm so sorry."

"We know you are Mal," Fairy Godmother says firmly. "We understand that it is hard for you to leave your old habits behind."

"What do you mean?" Mal asks, wiping tears from her eyes. She tries to embrace the feeling of Ben's arms around her, she doesn't want him to let go.

"We understand it is hard for you to control your magic and use it for your own devices."

"Own devices?" she asks.

"Stealing, vandalism..."

"WHAT?!" the daughter of Maleficent gasps, standing up so abruptly that her boyfriend loses his grip on her. "After all this, you still think I did this?!" She can hardly believe her ears.

"The evidence is pointing to it," Fairy Godmother says.

"WHAT EVIDENCE?! I didn't steal back my spellbook or anything else, I didn't vandalize the school..."

"But you did take a restricted book from the library, kept and used objects that were forbidden on school grounds, and attacked a member of the faculty."

"I didn't mean to," Mal says, trying to keep her anger in check, however, her eyes were illuminating the all too familiar green again.

"Regardless," the headmistress says firmly. "You have broken several rules that can result in suspension and possible expulsion."

"EXPULSION!" Mal gasps. She backs away from the desk, her mind a whirlwind of emotions. She cannot believe that this is happening to her. She made a few bad decisions, but it should not jeopardize her entire future! Words become caught in her throat and she feels like she's choking, her entire body seizes up in panic and anger. "No... please you can't..."

"I must do what is necessary for the good students of Auradon... and until we investigate your claim of Uma's contributions to this mess, we must reduce all the risks..."

"I'm not a risk!" she cries.

However, Mal's eyes light up again, contradicting her statement and almost immediately she can feel that she wants to lash out. It takes most of her strength to remain composed with her powers. However, her eyes begin to fill with confused tears again. Ben tries to approach her for another hug, but she rebuffs him.

"Fine, expel me! Then you can fight Uma on your own but don't come asking me for help when you're in a life or death situation!" she snarls under her breath.

"Until further notice, Mal is suspended from Auradon Preparatory School."

Words fail to leave the girl's mouth, she just gasps, as if air is trying to leave her lungs.

"However, any kind of suspension or expulsion can only be finalized by decree of the king."

Ben's eyes go wide in horror. Of course, he wouldn't get out of this, he had to be there for Mal when she needs him most. He looks at her, equally horrified by this declaration.

"I...I can't suspend Mal..." he manages to choke out. "She's my girlfriend and I love her, I can't do this to her."

There is a small moment of comfort felt between the couple, despite the tension that was slowly building within themselves; Mal of confusion and rage, Ben with sadness.