Chapter 71: Potential

"Hello?" Regina says, answering her phone which is buzzing in her pocket. Both she and Evie are exiting the Mill's Mausoleum after the new development of Evie's unknown magical potential. The blue-haired beauty holds the duffle bag containing the ingredients meant to take the group back home.

Evie waits patiently for her alternate mother to finish sealing the vault and answer her phone call, she continues to stare at her hands, partially wanting to see her fingers glow blue again and partially not wanting to.

I have magic, she keeps thinking to herself in stunned silence. Why didn't Mother ever tell me?! Sure, she was able to use the magic mirror and make potions, but the mirror was already enchanted, and potions were basically chemistry with mixing stuff together. These new abilities to connect to Regina's mirror and to bypass magical barriers are shocking but also slightly exciting. None of this made any real sense to her and what was the point of having magic if she could never use it? Auradon had strict rules about its use, to the point where such power is considered obsolete and forbidden. It was the whole reason she'd been forced to hand the magic mirror to the school museum in the first place. Additionally, Evie had seen Mal's struggle with keeping her magic under control, this was not something that she wanted to deal with. Plus, what would Doug think of it?

The thought of her boyfriend rejecting her makes her heart sink deep into the pit of her stomach. Sure, he loved her despite her questionable past and her vain and selfish tendencies in the beginning, but his love had changed her for the better. He was quirky and adorkable in his own right, but this was a whole new wrinkle to their relationship. It could change everything and not knowing whether he'd accept her with these powers causes the teenager to panic internally. She didn't want these powers... she didn't need them to be with him...

But, at the same time, this new kind of power intrigued the daughter of the Evil Queen. Could she teleport or turn into a dragon-like her best friend? What about being able to make something appear out of nowhere or even fly? The possibilities seemed endless and she wants to know more about it...

At that moment, Evie's feelings about returning to Auradon shift slightly. She's going to be leaving before fully discovering this new part of herself. If they go back today, she'll never get the chance, she'll just have suppressed it and forget that this unawakened power ever happened. She'd go back to designing clothes and going to school like she always did. She would also have to forget about the wonderful relationship that she was building with Regina... the mother she always wanted. A mother who treated her daughter with respect, protected and cared for her and never put pressure on the girl to be anything but herself. It was something that Evie had not realized she wanted until now. She wants to have a good mother; someone she could look up to and rely on, and with the selfish Grimhilde on the Isle, there was no way that was going to happen. She stares down at the duffle bag and ponders the whirlwind of emotions she is feeling.

"Hello Queenie," a voice on the other end of the phone call says in a snarky.

"Maleficent?" Regina says in surprise. While the women were still not on the best of terms with one another considering that the former Evil Queen kept the dragon-lady under the library for 28 years, mutual respect had formed between them as they were both mothers who wanted the best for their children. "To what do I owe the pleasure."

"I wanted to pass on some interesting information to you, as you are the expert in all things magical and much more trustworthy than the Dark One..."

The mention of magic causes the mayor to freeze. How could the Mistress of all Evil know that Evie had magic when both of them had just found out themselves.

"What... what do you mean?"

"I just wanted to let you know that my daughter... that is from the other realm just displayed some magical abilities in front of my house."