Chapter 42

I lie beside Derek and just sigh. He will not die on me. No way.

"Just spit it out." I say to a very anxious Stiles. "Well you know, Lydia's a banshee and all." He says and I raise an eyebrow. It's stupid o'clock in the morning and we've just got back from the hospital.

"Funny enough, I do." I say rolling my eyes.

"Banshee's predicted death." Stiles says and I scoff. "No way? Really?" I ask sarcastically and he sighs.

"Who is it?" I ask noticing his nervousness.

"Well uh... so the dead pool. A dead person has been the cipher key each time. And well..." he sighs. "Derek was the cipher key for the last third." He says and I groan and run a hand over my face.

Stiles opens his jacket pocket and hands me the last third of the list with a bunch of names on.

I look up at Derek concerned as he just looks down at the piece of paper. "I'm not gonna die." Derek says to comfort me. "But Lydia..." I say and he nods. "I'm not gonna die." He says again.

I kiss Derek's cheek and he slowly wakes up. "I love you." I say and he smiles at me.

"Are you just saying that because I'm 'gonna die'?" He asks and I roll my eyes. "No, I'm saying it because I didn't tell you last night when you told me." I say and he sighs.

"I'm not gonna die." He reassures and I sigh. "Hopefully." I say and he rolls his eyes. "I'll be fine." He says and I lean my head against his chest.

"You better not make me think you're dead at any point." I say and he rolls his eyes. "I learnt my lesson." He says and I laugh. "Good." I add before punching his chest.

"Why?" He asks and I shrug. "Felt like it." I say before climbing out of bed and getting ready.

****
We head to the hospital and find our selves In Braeden's room just watching her sleep.

Melissa charged in and put a needle in one of the tubes. "What's that?" I ask as me and Derek follow her with our eyes.

"Naloxone. We need to wake her up." Melissa says and I furrow my eyebrows. "I thought you said she needed to rest?" I ask confused. "That was before I found out the CDC just put the high school under quarantine with Scott and Stiles still in there." She says and my eyes widen. "What?" I ask and she nods.

Braeden gasps as she sits upright. She looks around the room frantically. "Braeden, look at me. You were shot, but you're in the hospital now and you're just fine. Do you understand?" She asks and Braeden looks over to us.

I look up and Derek who gives her a slight nod, to tell her we can trust Melissa. Braeden then nods.

"Good, okay." Melissa starts. "Last night you were in the woods and you came across another pack? Do you know what happened to them?" She asks and I watch Braeden.

"I told you, they were poisoned." Derek says to Melissa. "No." Braeden says grabbing our attention. "No, they were infected. It was a virus designed to kill werewolves. And it did. It killed them all." She says and I groan.

You've got to be kidding me!

****
Me and Derek spend the rest of the day in Braeden's room. I'm back and forth on the phone with dad for updates.

Braeden clears her throat as she wakes up and I jump up from Derek's lap.

"What are you guys still doing here?" She asks. "Watching our investment. We've got a lot of money riding on you." Derek says bluntly and I roll my eyes at him when there was a sudden knock at the door and Melissa peaked her head in.

"Derek. I think there's someone here you've been trying to find." Melissa says moving out of thr way to reveal an older women.

We and up following them to the morgue then as Braeden falls asleep.

I grip Derek's hand when I see the dead werewolf. That's disgusting.

"It's a variant of canine distemper." Deaton states for us. "A few years ago an outbreak in Yellowstone killed 40% of the wolf population." Deaton says and I hold Derek's hand tighter.

"What's it going to do to our wolf population?" Melissa asks. "Well, it's been altered to infect quite a bit faster." Deaton says.

"You mean it's been weaponized?" Derek adds for them. "It infected my whole pack." Satomi says sadly.

"Everyone except for you. That's the real question. Did you not get infected? Or are you immune?" Deaton says and we all turn to Satomi.

"If your pack was infected, then who was doing all the shooting at the entrance to the woods?" Derek asks Satomi.

"Apparently another assassin." Satomi says and I groan. "Personally, I'd ratyer face a gun than a variant of smallpox." Satomi says. "Sounds like you're going to get plenty of chances." Melissa says and I scoff. "Sorry." I apologise.

Satomi continues to look at Derek and I. Derek catches on and looks down at her with a raised eyebrow. "Sorry." She apologises. "I just noticed how much you remind me of Talia." She says and I smile up at Derek who now also had a small smile on his face.

"I used to visit her a lot, you know. Do you remember me?" She asks. "I remember the tea. You always brought that tea that smelled terrible." Derek says and I squeeze his hand. He's so cute. "I brought that tea as a gift. Your mother loved it." Satomi says.

"What kind of tea?" Deaton asks. "What?" Satomi asks. "The tea with the smell, what kind was it?" He asks more stern this time. "Reishi. Wild purple reishi. It's very rare." She says softly. She has a really calm voice. It's calming.

"It's also a very powerful remedy for sickness. Satomi, you didn't get infected because you've been inoculated." Deaton says and I sigh. No more werewolves will die from the virus.

"Okay, how rare is it? Can we find it?" Melissa asks. "We don't have to. My mother kept some of it. It's in our vault." He says and I sigh. "Yes bitches." I say and grab Derek's hand and give him an unwillingly high five.

Melissa gets her phone out and immediately starts calling Scott's dad/ Agent McDick. That's such a good nickname for him. Why didn't I think of that sooner?

We head for the door of the morgue. We need to get to the school. I need to make sure Stiles is okay. I know he will be, but I don't care.

"We have to get to the school." Derek tells Satomi whilst pulling me with him. "What about the others at lookout point?" She asks and the elevator dings.

Some blonde aims a gun towards us and Derek pushed me out of the way then divesover Satomi so she doesn't get hit.

Once Derek was beside me on the floor, he covers me with his body whilst we watch Satomi be a bad bitch.

The blonde collapses and Derek helps me up. Satomi turns to us whilst smiling proudly. "I may have learned to control my anger, but I still know when to use it." She says before leaving.

Derek and I, rush to the school. We get there just as kids were getting let out. I immediately jump out of Derek's car and head to find dad, who was with Lydia.

We head inside once Derek catches up with us and push through the crowds trying to look for them. Lydia reunites with her mom and eventually Stiles catches up to us.

I hug him immediately and dad does after I do. "What happened?" I ask looking ar the dry blood on his top and face. "Assassin tried to get me." He says and I nod.  "I'm glad you're okay." I say and he nods.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask his sad expression. "Malia. She knows. About Peter." He says and I sigh and turn to Derek who didn't look pleased.

"Let's get outta here." I say grabbing Derek and Stiles' hand and heading for the door.