Valedictorian-Hwang hyunjin

Valedictorian Hwang hyunjin

" You nervous? "

Your boyfriend, Hyunjin asked clasping your shaking hands with his long fingers to calm you down asked.

" Duh. I didn't think I would be valedictorian with the average ass grades I got. But here I am. " You said trying so hard not to chew off your perfectly manicured nails off your fingers.

" And I didn't think I would be head boy last year. But you were there beside me, and helped me all along. " His smile giving you the assurance you needed. Especially with the speech you were going to make.

Slipping in that last paper clip, checking all your notes for the one last time before standing in front of the podium with all you fellow peers staring at you, you smiled at one particular face and you got one back just as you expected. But you knew that smile that had given you assurance earlier was slowly going to be wiped off that face.

This was the last time you were speaking in front of these people and you needed to make your mark.

" Now, I could summarise this year by praising the school and the memories they helped us make. And that's what I will be doing later indeed. But what did we do these twelve years?

What did we do by learning all this in school?

An investment, a social status, a necessity, that's how education was defined by the immediate adults. It wasn't about how it was tailored to each human being but rather it was tailored to how society wanted us to become.

But instead of the education and knowledge I have gathered here in this school. I learnt way too much that I don't think could ever be taught.

Self respect was one of them.

I was a people pleaser. I needed the validation from people that I could make them happy. I hated that I would have a bad reputation.

But then someone, someone who I seemed to trust came along and stole my heart. "

The audience then broke into awws and cheers in unison.

" Now if this was a normal speech, I would have smiled and continued. But the thing is that neither is this speech normal, nor the fact that I am standing here, as your valedictorian, normal.

A lot of people submitted their valedictorian speeches, and I'm pretty sure every one of them was smarter and more formal than mine. But I think mine stood out for some reasons.

You see, this guy not only stole my heart but also my integrity and dignity. He stripped me off my identity. Now I was his girlfriend and not just y/n. I had different standards that I didn't know existed for me to look upto and fullfill.

When these standards weren't accomplished, this guy now went on to steal the investment I made in our relationship and put it into someone else. He also earned another name, simply put as cheater. "

You could feel a pin drop. The silence was sickening. You expected some boos or even some screams but you were glad the audience was fixed onto your words and not onto the wide eyed boy who's smile you had indeed wiped off.

" Easily the place I had once called home was the place I caught my significant other with my so called friend and that place had now become a nightmare. The labels and standards I had were now nonexistent. But then I realised I didn't have to fullfill anyone's desires or expectations anymore. I knew what my worth was, and I set my own desired goals to achieve them in order to gain self respect.

Now this could be petty, to stand up here and reveal my personal life towards all my peers. But honestly down the road 10 years from now, you'll atleast be able to tell people about how your valedictorian learnt self respect from her ex boyfriend sitting in the crowd cheering her on.

With that being said, The head boy Hwang Hyunjin, or should I say, my ex boyfriend, will now continue the even by reliving the experiences we had in school the past year.

And to my future self, I hope I made my mark.
Thank you. "

With that you took off from the podium with the crowd filled with ooohs and ahhhs and your friends chanting your name. But your eyes were on the long haired boy, who was once holding your hands in nervousness. Now it was your turn to ask,

" You nervous? "