CHAPTER 38

CHAPTER 38: Rain, Rain, Come Again

SUNGJAE’S POV.

I stood outside Peniel’s door for a while, listening to their conversation. I knew I shouldn’t of. I wasn’t too sure, but I heard Peniel confess to her. In my train of thought, the door opened and a small figure smashed into my chest. I quickly wound my arms around her waist until she was steady. Big mistake. I shouldn’t have touched her, but it felt… warm. I’m not sure if I’m correct, but I could’ve sworn that she leaned into me. I snapped out of it.

‘I don’t like you anymore.’ Her words echoed in my head. I let go of her and walked away. I had to before I exploded.

I went outside to get some fresh air. I leaned against one of the walls by the side of the building, sighing. I watched as the rain drizzled onto the path ahead of me. The sound and smell refreshed my mind, making my lips pull up. First time in a long time. I watched the collected water form a mini river and flow down into the drain. I felt a presence closing in. I knew it was her, but I didn’t turn to look at her. Why was she coming to me now?

“Oppa.” Ji Eun said, walking slowly.

I ignored her and closed my eyes, breathing in the moisture of the air. She leaned against the wall beside me and stayed quiet. It wasn’t one of those harsh silences. Actually, I was in a better mood since I had come outside.

“Did Peniel confess?” I asked, no trace of emotion in my voice.

Her voice was delicate. “Kind of.” At least she was being honest.

“I’m happy for you two.” I lied.

“We’re not…” she tried to protest, but stopped when I met her eyes.

“You don’t need to explain.” I said, before pushing myself off the wall and walking away from her, into the rain. I could feel my heart being ripped out for the millionth time. I guess I was used to it. It was just turning me into a cold monster. But I didn’t care.

I felt a small hand lace into mine. I stopped walking and looked at her. What was she doing?

“Oppa… I’m sorry.” She whispered. “Please, forgive me.”

I just wanted to hug her then and there. But I fought the urge – she had already moved on.

“Don’t mention it.” Was all I could say before tearing my hand from hers.