XXXIX

Hope this fixed the issue.

"So," Itachi starts, digging into his plate, "how did everyone sleep?"

"Fine," Sasuke mutters with his mouth full.

I keep my mouth shut, not wanting to bring up the hell I lived through last night. I'm just grateful I made it through the rest of the night without any troubles. Well, I do think the rest of my night was more than just wonderful. Thank you, Soulmate Mark, for making my deepest dream come true.

"Just fine?" Itachi tempts. "You two look like you had a wonderful night."

Heat rises in my cheeks. I have to look down at my plate in order for my hair to hide my face. This is not what I needed this morning.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm just pointing out what I saw. Right, (Y/n)?"

The only sound that comes out of my mind is a squeak.

"I don't see why you guys are so uncomfortable about this topic. Have you not talked about the birds and—"

I verbally keyboard slam, not even forming words and just sounds to stop him from further speaking. Yes, the two Uchihas gave me the weirdest looks, but Itachi shut up, so I call this a win. "We slept fantastically! End of discussion!"

"At least she enjoyed it, unlike Kari—"

"That's enough, Itachi," Sasuke threatens, pressing his fork into the plate a little more.

"Oh? Who's Kari?"

No one speaks up for moments at a time. "Karin," Sasuke finally corrects, but that's all the further information he gives me.

Expectantly, I look to Itachi. "His ex-girlfriend."

What? No. There's no way that. No. No! That can't be. Sasuke's never had... no. That conversation we had in the car last week about relationships, was he just joking? Was he...? What? There's no way.

My expression must've given myself away, all the disbelief written in cursive on my forehead. "Eh?"

The two set the forks down, giving off the same expressions. The looks are deadly. I don't know what happened, but whatever did, it piqued my curiosity. I don't ask though. That's not my business. Besides, it's an ex-girlfriend now.

Wait, why do I care?

"Well," I say awkwardly, not finding the urge to finish my breakfast anymore unlike the other two. My eyes scatter around the room, looking for anything I can start a new topic on, break away from whatever cursed memory is ringing in their mind.

However, after finding out that Itachi made me some farewell cookies which Sasuke is a huge fan of, some spark light up in my eyes. Despite Sasuke not liking anything sweet, he adores Itachi's cookies and that was going to be the start of some fun.

Sasuke reads me easily. "No."

"No what? I haven't even done anything yet."

He purses his lips, staring me down menacingly. "No, but I know what you're thinking."

I smile. "What would that be?"

He slowly brings a hand up to the cookies, hoping he'll be able to get at least one off of the plate. He doesn't even glance at the desert, his dark eyes just keep piercing mine, waiting for them to act. And they did.

Just before he could snatch one, my hand sneaks up and seizes the whole plate of cookies all while I abruptly stand up. "Too slow!" I mock with a giggle and burst off out into the kitchen to hide behind the island.