LVI

After an eternity, we turn onto a familiar street, the lamplights of my building glinting brightly in the darkness. The streets around us are glum and silent, only the distant sound of car horns and wind whirs in the distance. Our street normally isn't outgoing and packed with people, but even before I turn out the lights and head to bed, I'll still see some groups fluttering on the sidewalks. It makes me wonder how late it is right now.

As Sasuke pulls up to the curb, I gather all of my strength to sit myself up and unbuckle. My body screams at me as pain crashes into me. My head pounds at any slightest movement, adding a stronger strain behind my eyes and in my ears.

Even though I ache, I turn to him with a weak smile and say, "Thank you for d-driving me home," as I usually would for any ride. "Sorry—"

"Stop apologizing," he sighs, putting the car in park before turning off the engine.

This confuses me. "S-sorry. I mean..." I ignore myself and the embarrassment I'm making and open the door. The cool summer night air hits my skin. "G-good night. See you later—"

"What are you doing?" he asks me. Before I respond, I hear another car door open and close behind me. When I turn around, I no longer see the driver in his seat. Instead, he comes around the car and up to me. "You could barely walk at the party."

"I—" I protest.

"Do you have your keys?" he asks me, kneeling for some reason.

"Uh, y-yeah." I pull out my EK and dig through my stuff before pulling out the said item. "Here."

He gingerly takes them out of my hands.

"You don't have to do this."

"What did I tell you?" His eyes snap to mine and hold my gaze for a second. "This is my choice. I'm deciding to help you, alright?"

I sit frozen and stare back. My mouth hangs slightly open with the urge to say something, but I have no words to use. Instead, I nod and look down, knowing that I won't be able to convince him out of anything. "Alright."

He nods his head and stands up a little.

I flinch when I see him leaning in towards me, remembering what happened only moments ago. However, I remind myself that Sasuke isn't like that; he's nothing close to him at all. He's not someone who would take advantage of me, harm me, or abuse me. Sasuke is doing the complete opposite, helping me in every way possible. It makes me feel guilty for having to put him through this, but it also makes me thankful that I have a friend as good as him.

We assume the same carrying position as before. I wrap my arms around his neck and push off the ground so he doesn't have to stress himself trying to stand up. Immediately, I feel almost all my pain and discomfort wash away from me like it never existed, to begin with. The heavyweight on me feels lifted.

"Are you sure y-you wanna do this?" I ask, feeling my pain drain away as our skin connects.

"(Y/n)," he grumbles in my ear.

I bury my head deeper as if hiding from him. "Sorry."

He sighs. "Stop apologizing."

"Sorry. I mean—" I turn my head completely away from him. Gosh, I just screw up everything, don't I? "I mean..."

"You're fine." With that, he closes the car door and turns on his heel to walk inside. At the entrance, we enter a five-digit code before entering the actual building. After passing through the door, he pauses, not sure which way to go.

"You can set me down now."

"You need to stop that. I insisted."

"There's no elevator."