LXII

The strong sun brightly shines down on the beach, heating up the golden sand stretching across one side of my vision to the other. The turquoise ocean water splashes onto the coast, dampening the grains of sand into a darker, bronzer color. The bubbles fizz on the surface as the water is sucked back into the sea. The ocean meets the bright blue sky at the horizon, small boats riding its bouncy surface. The wonderful cool breeze whistles through the people milling on the beach. The scent of salt wafts through the humid air, giving the summery vacation feel.

Today is perfect for the beach.

We're almost done setting up our area, finding colorful umbrellas to shade our property, and leaving snacks and a cooler full of water bottles on the laid-out patterned beach towels. Naruto and Kiba are down closer by the ocean water, messily writing 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY SASUKE' in the wet sand and yelling in frustration whenever the tide messes it up.

The girls tie balloons to the umbrellas so they don't fly away. They all wear two pieces showing more skin than what would be considered necessary. That's not to say they're not stunning, but after the events of weeks ago, I'm triggered by the thought of so much bare skin on a female.

Compared to me, I'm wearing a one-piece under a swim shirt and athletic shorts. The shorts are mostly because we're not going in the water and hanging out yet. Otherwise, I'm pretty covered and much less revealing than those four girls rocking their cute and fashionable swim outfits.

I'm not comfortable and I doubt that I'll look good in any of those outfits. Just imagining me in anything revealing makes me self-conscious and I believe that people will hate how I look just as much as I do.

On top of that, my Soulmate Mark is kinda smack dab in the center of my torso. I don't want people to know, especially Sasuke, so I don't want to reveal it in any way. Hinata offered to add some makeup to cover it up, but I used the 'it'll wash away or smudge' excuse. Sure, people might guess it's a tattoo, but I don't want to deal with their questions and lie to the new friends I made.

Neji and Tenten head toward us with some chairs in case a few of us don't want to lie on the ground. They put some in the sun and the others in the shade before laying extra towels over them.

Lee, Choji, and Shikamaru bring over boards, a bucket full of shovels and rakes for sandcastles, a frisbee, a beach ball, noodles, and floatables (for Naruto, probably). Everything you would need for a day at the beach.

Sai is the only one being extra and creative, drawing birthday pictures and ocean scenery in his sketchbook.

I go to compliment his artwork, seeming mesmerized by his fluid strokes before someone taps me on the shoulder. With a flinch, I turn around and raise a brow at Sakura. "Hey?"

"I need your help," she demands, pulling me by the arm and over to her beach bag on a fuchsia towel. "I have this present for Sasuke, but I can't wrap it right. Can you help me?"

"Here?" I ask, wide-eyed. Sasuke will be here any minute and she wants me to speedily wrap her present nicely. "Now?"

"Yes! Please, I beg you!" the pinkette whines, falling to her knees and pulling out the said gift. It was quite a large box. "It needs to be perfect and you're the only person who can do it."

"What did you get him?" I ask in astonishment, kneeling to gaze at the large box.

She shrugs. "Just a couple of things. You know."

I most certainly do not.

Sakura has been best friends with Sasuke forever. I can't even remember when they weren't friends. Given so many years together, I'm sure she has a lot of gift ideas for Sasuke that may be too embarrassing to share with me. I'll respect that.