LXVIII

I was too tired to care that the car was hot from sitting all day in the sun. Even with the towel acting like a protective layer between me and the burning leather, heat still seeped through and warmed my legs and back. The warmth distracts me. I wish I were cooler, but I'm in no place to complain anyway. I should just be glad the window is open and there's a nice, little-rough breeze.

I manage to ignore the pound in my head with the little energy I have left. Even with it distracting me from everything, it doesn't make it hard to see that my driver is distinctively pissed. Ever since we got into the vehicle after parting with the group, he hasn't even spared me a glance once. It doesn't make me feel any better that I'm getting the silent treatment from both him and his car.

At least I was given a bottle of water—even if it was aggressively and without a word. Not that I've taken a sip yet.

Ten minutes into the drive, I suppress the urge to hiss in pain when another brick of pain slams into my head. If anything, my headache is only getting worse. There's not much I can do about it.

Since we left in such a hurry—or that's what it felt like to me—I may or may not have accidentally left my stuff at the beach. So my painkillers are off the table as well as informing my dad of my current state and that I'll be home soon. He'll probably be upset that I didn't come home with Neji as we had established, but I hope he won't be hard on Sasuke. I did tell him it was his birthday, so maybe he'll cut him some slack.

Birthday.

Well, isn't this just a great birthday for him—and I'm here to ruin everything again. I wonder how much trouble I've given him. Countless times, I presume. Now we're here. Helping me again. On his birthday.

I'm sure this is just the perfect present. I can tell he completely enjoys it. I mean, just look at his face! He's completely content!

Who am I kidding? I'm just being more of a burden to him than anything else. Even the present that Sakura gave him seems much better than this. Sasuke even appeared less annoyed and displeased than he does right now. I'm sure he'd take her present over feeling the need to 'take care of me' any time. I know I would.

I tear my eyes away from the window, blinking when a strand of hair gets near my eye. My fingers intertwine with each other and distract me.

Being in my own little void, I fail to keep silent when another wave washes over me. My exhaustion spikes even more with this one. I had almost forgotten how sleepy I felt with all throbbing.

"Drink."

I lift my head in the direction of the voice. Some sort of hope settled in me as I expected him to be looking at me, or maybe catch him sneaking a glance. They soon drop when I notice that his dark eyes are still intently focused on the road in front of him.

Without responding, I gingerly take the water bottle out of the cup holder and stare at it. For some reason, this doesn't seem appetizing. Usually, water would seem like the perfect thing to drink when I feel dehydrated, exhausted, or sick. Now, I don't feel like drinking it at all.

"Can you not drink water by itself?"

Acting as if I'm confused, I raise a brow. "What... do you mean?"

When he brings the car to a stop at the red light, he turns around in his seat—still without a glance directed to me—and reaches for something. I decide not to turn around and watch him after I noticed the dread that sits in my chest when I see him avoid me again.

Best birthday present indeed.

I snap out of my short daze when I see something land on my lap. It's my EK. For a moment, I just stare at it blankly, wordlessly. I thought Hinata had it when I left the beach. Apparently not if I have it on my lap now.