VIII

No, no. Today wasn't scary at all. Nope.

No.

I'm not scared.

No. I'm not.

I am not.

I am.

I'm sitting on the edge of my bed, completely shaken up. My door locked to keep my worried father outside as he continues to pester me with questions not helping my situation at all.

"Baby-cakes, are you okay? What happened?" He'd ask.

I wouldn't respond.

"Open the door, please. Tell me what happened."

Still no response.

"Baby, come out. Your poppy wants to talk to you."

I used to call him Poppy when I was younger.

"Come on, open the door. Tell me what's bothering you."

"I... I don't want to..." My voice shakes, cracking before I could even start the sentence. No, I'm not crying, it wasn't an upsetting event. It's just that... had I not acted when I did... people would've died. Just the thought that I could've witnessed two souls passing away. Right before my eyes. Right... there.

"I know you don't want to," he says, shaking the doorknob some more. "But I need to know what's wrong."

I hug my knees closer to my chest. There's a long pause as we both wait for something to happen, either him leaving or me opening the door, wondering which one might come first. He finally sighs, "Alright, but I'm coming back in half an hour with some soup, bread, and (your favorite snack). Then will you tell me?"

"What kind of soup?" I muster.

"What do you think?"

A small smile appears on my face. "Maybe."

He chuckles. "I'll leave you alone now, okay?"

"Okay."

"Love you."

"Love you, too."

The footsteps echo down away as I hear them fading. Only when I'm positive he can no longer hear me, I heave a sigh and let myself fall back onto the bed. The whole event replaying in my mind.

 💮          💮          💮

"Alright, see ya!" I call to Hinata.

She smiles, waving back. "Be careful!"

"I won't die!" I retort with a dorky grin.

Hina giggles, heading off onto her own path.

I readjust the backpack on my shoulder. Unlike yesterday, today wasn't unusual. Classes proceeded the way they always had, Naruto not making an appearance, Kiba not glancing my way, and Sakura only catching up to see about the research I've done and left it at that.