VI

※No Sasuke※

"I'm home!" I announce once I open the door, after a short journey of going up several flights of stairs. Our apartment is on the 5th floor, with no elevator because of the area we live in. It's a small, less crowded area, and our apartment building is small with two homes for each floor, a total of 8 floors. So, every day, we climb 5 flights of stairs twice, and I'm not even including school.

Completely exhausted, I entered my cool home with a deep breath and immediately head to my room. I don't spare a glance at the kitchen to know that dad had baked cookies this evening, fresh. The smell wafts through the entire apartment, my mouth watering as I continue to think about it.

I toss my bag onto my bed and change out of my school uniform and into some comfy clothes. Earlier I had called and there was no response, so I check in my brother's room to see if he even exists. Sadly, he does, but his headphones are on as he plays his video games with his friends.

My brother is 3 years older than I, went to college for a year and decided he needed a year off to study extra, get more money, just get stuff together before he goes for his second year. He's staying at our place for the time being. Dad let him back with a smile on his face that his perfect child came home to stay an extra year. Had it been me, I would've been harshly denied. It's whatever, am I right?

I waltz into dad's, former moms, office to see him working on his project. He enjoys gadgets with technology, regardless of how slim we are with money, to play with it. He's currently tweaking up some panel that I assumed was a piece belonging to his monitor. He must be too involved to even know I had shouted earlier.

Wrapping my arms around his back, I coo, "I'm home~"

"Hey, there, baby-cakes!" My dad chimes, swinging his chair around to face me, a large smile stitched to his face. His hair is slowly greying, but otherwise still retaining its color. "You doing okay?"

"Yep," I answer as I lean against his office desk. "You?"

He chuckles. "Yeah, I'm good. I'm good. How was school?"

I shrug. "It was alright, I guess," I respond. The thing is, I'm supposed to report to my dad about anything connected to my CPS. They're always rough or awkward conversations. I always tell him it's fine. He always tells me it's not. "It was kind of weird. One of the popular—no, two of the popular kids talked to me today."

"Ooh. Which ones?" My dad asks as his fingers tap one another.

"Uzumaki Naruto and Haruno Sakura."

"Uzumaki, did you say?"

I furrow my brows. "You know him?"

"Eh, no. I knew his parents, though, before the..."

"Oh..."

"Yeah..."

Naruto's parents were in a car accident two years ago. It was a bad one, too. I never heard details as to what happened to them, mostly because I wasn't really wanting to hear about scary occurrences as my mom was leaving around the same time the whole incident happened. People said they were alright, but that's about it on the update.

"Anyways, that's not important. Why were they talking to you?"

"Naruto, uh... he..."

"Hurt you, didn't he?" My father's muscles tense immediately, fury flashing before his eyes.

My mouth dries on the spot as I'm unsure of how to respond. "No, not really. H-he tripped and fell on me and... look, it was an accident! He really didn't mean to, I swear! Ask Hinata! She witnessed it!"