XLVII

Disclaimer: the past two chapters are for fun! I wanted to test perspective transitions while also trying at a stereotypical Ino. Nothing super-duper important happens, so read at your leisure.

"No."

Sakura puffs out her cheeks. "Why not? It looks so good on you!"

(Y/n) simply states, glaring wide-eyed in the mirror. "Absolutely not."

Sure, for any other female wanting to try this outfit on, they'd look perfect. However, it doesn't suit my taste. It's too sparkly, the light's reflection blinding me. Not only that, it shows too much chest area, it's way to tight for me, and the skirt is so short. If I didn't have any standards, maybe I would go with this. Every other girl would be able to pull this off, but not me. I can't even look at myself without cringing.

"Aww, but—"

"No," I repeat, storming back into the changing room while I await Hinata and Ino to fetch me my new dress. Gingerly, I take off the dress and hang it back on its hanger just in time for the girls to toss the next dress over the door while we make a trade.

"So?" Ino chimes. "How did you look?"

"Amazing—"

"Terrible. I'm not wearing it," I spit, tossing the new dress back over, imagining the same results.

Ino sighs, begrudgingly taking the dress. "We're going to find you the perfect dress, you know. It's gotta be something out of this world! It's your first party, Ryuken invited you, and it's the first night of summer break!"

I purse my lips. She's right, and I understand her viewpoints. Yet, it feels wrong all of a sudden. Even when I was being asked did I have my doubts.

"And if Ryuken wants to hit on you tonight," Sakura continues, "you have to outshine the place!"

Outshine the place for Ryuken, huh? I think to myself, sulking in the question. My eyes unconsciously fall down to the permanent mark on my skin, its letters adding a unique and aesthetic font, making it a nice thing to look at. Without even thinking, my finger traces the outline of the letters U.S. and lightly tickle my upper hip.

That's right. My Soulmate Mark is between my hip and waist, a rough three inches to the left of my belly button, printed (color) letters.

Once finishing the design, my finger falls back to my side and I don't ponder on another thought, even the one that was poking at the side of my brain the whole time I outlined the characters.

"Here, try this one." Hinata sweetly says as she drapes another dress over the top of the door. I take it.

"Hinata!" Ino scrambles over to the door. "What did you hand her?"

"A-a d-dress—"

"It's fine, Ino," Sakura reassures. "Every girl has a different taste."

"I know but—"

"Ino."

"Yes, fine. Whatever. I don't care."

"Yes, you do."

"So what? I wanted to see (Y/n) all dressed up for once. She'd look extremely pretty."

I finish pulling up the dress and glare at the glares through the door. If only my eyes could burn, there'd be a hole in the door before it'd burn straight through Ino. "Are you saying I'm not pretty right now?"

"What? No, of course not!" Ino defends herself. "I meant, we only ever see you in your school uniform."

"Well, Hinata doesn't, but..."