XXIII

I snatch the strap of my book bag and throw it over my shoulder. I'm so close to shivering under the eyes of everyone around me, the way they watch me exit the door. Had I not been so riled, I would've cowardly hidden. Had I not been so hurt, I would've made an awkward move. My arm ached, it burned like hell, and that was enough to get me out of there.

My escape was quick, meaning no one really had time to gape at me for what I had said, to strangle me for even having the thought, to criticize me for saying it to another classmate and that it's against school policy. I didn't care anymore.

Uchiha Sasuke, I hate you! And I always have!

The words echo in my head as I threw my bag to the corner of the stall, slamming the door shut with a loud clack! My back slides down against the wall and I can finally let go of the act I was upholding.

There's a sharp inhale as another wave washes through my arm, adding oxygen to the flame beneath my skin. I kick the floor to let out some of the stress I had from the balled-up lava in my arm. I take some time to make enduring the discomfort more bearable. Things such as laying a certain way, resting my arm this way versus that way, which knee to prop up, how to turn my head, how long each breath should take, what I should be thinking about, et cetera. You wouldn't believe all of the factors can alter the amounts of pain during a CPS reaction.

Or maybe I trick myself into believing that.

Finally, once I'm on the lowest point on this wicked rollercoaster, I reach into my bag and yank out my medicine. My thumb pops open the cap, dumps one onto my lap, closes the container, and places the pill on the back of my tongue. Having done this so much, you get used to doing this process so much, it almost becomes a second language.

I grab my water bottle and chug it. I really only needed a sip for the pill, but drinking lots of water can help with the whole 'decreasing the pain' deal. It's different for some people, but my specialists tested it and found it worked for me whenever I have a 'burning sensation', or that's what they called it. Otherwise, water won't affect my numbing, stabbing, shocking, prickling, or itching pains.

After downing the whole bottle, I gasp for air and glare at my hurting arm. It'll take moments before the burning dissipates, and even then, the fire won't be entirely gone. The only reason I say it disappears is that the relief is eighty times better than the original pain outburst. It almost feels like nothing once you take the right medication. Only in comparison, though.

A group of girls from my class stumble into the bathroom with hushed voices gossiping. Their footsteps are as light as a feather, the 'proper' and 'girly' way of walking. They sound like mice hustling into the restroom, squeaky and quiet. I almost freeze upon hearing them, my social anxiety skyrocketing.

I just hope my sudden stress doesn't reverse the effects of the medicine. That would be unfortunate.

"I cannot believe what just happened in class!" one girl gasps.

"Oh my Jashin, I know, right?" her friend responds.

"That girl had the audacity to say that to Sasuke? Does she even know who he is?" the third girl groans.

"Apparently not," Number Two replies.

Number One sighs. "Sasuke must be so hurt right now. He's so used to everybody loving him, it must be weird having someone hate him."

Number Three snickers. "I doubt she hates him. She's probably just trying to get his attention by hating him, even though she's secretly in love with him."

"So that's her master plan! Stealing our years of hard work to get closer to him—" the second girl rages but is soon interrupted by the opening of a door. My door.