LXI

※No Sasuke※

Guess who decided to go.

That's right.

Those four girls managed to convince me. Naruto, Sakura, Ino, and Hinata somehow got me into the idea of getting out of the house. I mean, their arguments were valid and not cheap excuses they found out of a book. Although it took a while to change my mind, they succeeded.

"Come on, (Y/n)!" Sakura whined. "You've been in your house since last Saturday! You have to get out."

"It's Summer Break!" Naruto exclaimed. "You have to have some fun! A beach is perfect for that!"

"You need something to get your mind off of what happened," Ino points out. "Trust me. This will help!"

"We really miss hanging out with you," Hinata said. "Just one day, that's all." She did her best to help me but would always add 'if you're not comfortable, don't' at the end of everything she would suggest. I could tell she was strong behind her opinion on me getting out, though.

Reluctantly, I agreed after a few more trivial arguments just to make them happy. All four of them were delighted to hear me finally decide on going to their party.

The only obstacle keeping me from going was talking to my dad. Last night. By ourselves. At either end of the table while we silently listen to Kaito screaming at the top of his lungs in his bedroom as my dad ponders on the idea of me even leaving the house.

"D-Dad, I know it doesn't sound like the best idea..."

"You're damn right it doesn't."

"L-look. I think it'll be good for me," I start. "It's Summer Break and I can't spend it all inside the house."

"And why can't you?"

"Because when Mom comes home, she'll want to hang out with us and we'll probably go out eventually."

Dad brings a hand to his chin and rubs it while he thinks. His eyebrows narrow the longer the silence drags. "Then we'll worry about that when she gets here."

"Dad—"

"(Y/n), after what happened, I don't know—"

"It's a beach, we'll be in public in broad daylight—"

"There were plenty of people at the party and it still happened to you!" he fires back, silencing me.

The thing about this argument is that it's hard since I agree with both him and my friends. I'm stuck in the middle and I can't decide fully. It makes it harder for me to think clearly when I find both sides to be right.

I'm doing this for them. I'm doing it for him. No, I'm doing this for me. I need this. It's the one thing I'll get to do before I finally feel comfortable with going out by myself. Sure, maybe I won't recover for months, maybe years, but I can do this. I can't lock myself in my room for 6 months. I need to do this.

"Dad, I really want to do this. I want to hang out with my friends. Just this once."

"That's what you said about the party."

"No, that's what you said about the party."

Dad zips his lips closed briskly and firmly, realizing I'm right. He could speak back to me, but he'd still know that I called him out and we'd still have this matter to discuss, so he doesn't press it. "I just don't think you're ready."

"I don't know if I am either," I say honestly. "But there's a difference between not being sure and staying home, and not being sure and going out."

He sighs. "I know. I know you want to. But is this the right decision? It's only been roughly a week and a half since then."