LXIX

A/N: Woo! Happy Birthday, Sasuke! (Also chapter 69. Never thought I'd make it to this day.)

My heart pounds harder the more I think about my memories made with him. I feel my lips crack into a smile just thinking about our highs and lows. I even let out a small chuckle when I remember our first encounter. How I mistook him and Sakura for a couple when there was no gossip at the school. Little did I know how much he was going to be a part of my life in only the span of a few weeks.

Time sure is crazy.

"What's so funny?" Sasuke rasps, bringing me back to reality.

My smile quickly falls as I remember how much of a misfortune I'm causing for him right now. I merely glance at him, speechless. What am I supposed to say? Something that won't anger him? We both know that's slim.

Finding it hopeless to respond, I tear my gaze away from his unmeeting one and lean against the window. Surprisingly, we're close to my street already. I'm ready to be home and just sleep. My head still hurts, but my legs aren't as numb anymore, so it means my pill is working.

I just want this day to be over.

"Text your dad and tell him we're almost there."

Hesitantly, I pull out my phone and look at my empty notification screen. Joy. As Sasuke asked, I type a quick message to Dad. He's not one to check his phone immediately unless it's a call. I'll get home before he sees it. He expects me home around a certain time anyway.

Speaking of time, it's fifteen till three, meaning I didn't need to be home for at least another hour. Because of certain conditions, I don't have the option to stay longer.

"(Y/n)!"

I snap my head up from my phone and into Sasuke's eyes. Yes. His eyes. The ones that have been avoiding mine for the entire car ride until now.

"I've been calling your name for a while now," he explains, shaking his head and leaning back in his seat. "Are you deaf?"

I force a cough. "A little."

He doesn't find my answer amusing in the slightest.

"I'm... sorry. I must've zoned out," I drag on, looking back at my phone screen which remains empty.

"Well, I was going to say you're home now."

I blink several times before processing what he said. I stare out the window for a second, taking in my home building just beyond the car door. That can't be. Just a second ago, we passed a street that was a five-minute drive back there. How could that be?

"I... I guess, yeah." Quickly, I unbuckle my seatbelt, grab my bag, and prepare myself to open the door. "Sorry about today... and thanks for the ride." It was my turn to avoid Sasuke's gaze if he had one in my direction at all that is. With that said, I open the door and take a step out, finally two minutes away from crashing into my bed.

What I ended up crashing into was the car door because I'm dumb and didn't open it all the way, causing me to drop my bag and spill its contents while I groan in even more pain.

Just swell.

Once I recover from the tragedy, I get down to pick up my stuff, only realizing that there was another pair of hands helping me out.

Again.

I stop myself from picking up anything as 'help' echoes through my head on a loop, another negative emotion washing over me again. Then panic takes over. The birthday present slipped out of my bag, no longer hidden. Something I wanted to hide because I didn't want to hurt myself when I saw his reaction. I didn't need to deal with any more today.