XXVII

It took 3 days to convince my father to let me go to the boys' basketball game tomorrow. Actually, it was more like seven minutes, but it wasn't an easy battle that just went over the hills, let me tell you!

He was disappointed I made plans without his opinions first. I explained random things and made up excuses for me to go, using my epic card: socializing for once! I told him it would finally be my first engagement with a social activity that involved someone other than Hinata! With that, he let me leave the next morning prepared.

I wear a semi-nice, semi-comfortable outfit for the game. Since it was a team sport happening, I wore some school merchandise to emphasize my school spirit. I bring a jacket in case the gym was on the chili side of things but didn't wear it out since it is extremely hot outside. It is nearing the middle of summer, after all. My dad made sure I had my phone, money, keys, my medicine which he could not stress enough, and other necessities that seemed unnecessary.

"I'm fine, Dad," I whine with a bead of sweat rolling down the side of my face.

He fixes the creases and rolls in my shirt, adjusts my hair to look just right, and brushes leftover breakfast off my face.

"Dad—"

"(Y/n), I just want you to have fun. Be smart, be careful—"

"I—"

"And try not to get hurt, okay? These kinds of things can get chaotic—"

"Listen—"

"—and I want you to be cautious. Call me if anything happens—"

"Dad!" I snap, my hands grasping his shoulders. "I'm fine! And I'll be fine! I'll be safe, careful, smart, all the above, okay?"

He kisses my forehead gingerly.

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you, too, baby-cakes."

I inhale deeply, taking in his scent. "Alright, I'll be off now." My hand turns the handle and open the door, assuming we just leave it at that.

"W-wait!" he calls.

"Yes?"

"Uh... look both ways before crossing."

"Haha, of course," I reassure. "Okay, now I will officially be off." I pivot on my heel and head down the hallway to the staircase.

"Remember to leave one earbud out when walking!" he continues to shout. "A-and leave a seat for the elderly on the bus! Watch out for bikes! Wait 2 seconds after the light turns green to cross! And don't get into trouble—"

Pfft, I love my dad. No matter how overprotective he is of me.

💮          💮          💮

I wasn't really prepared for the game to be popular. The entire gym was crowded from several teams. Apparently, it was a pre-season tournament to get a couple of teams to be familiarized with other schools and get used to playing different people. Had I known this, maybe I would've rethought my decision on coming here.

Luckily, the time I arrived was just before the game would start. Warmups had already finished and people finally settled down for pregame announcements. As I enter the gym to find a spot on the bleachers, I saw our team huddling around each other like a team normally does before a big event. Since we're home, the other team's players are being announced which was enough to make me hustle my ass off to find a good spot to watch the game.