Prologue

"Make it stop! Make it stop!" the girl cried, clutching her arm, tears streaming down her face and spilling down onto the floor. "Please, stop it!"

The man towered above, a face of shock and horror stitched to his face. He didn't know how to react. He didn't know what he was supposed to do. The girl below him was screaming bloody murder as he tried to comprehend what was happening and why it was.

"It hurts so much! Please! Please!!" She was relentless and her voice didn't falter as her cries only got louder.

"I know, sweetie! I know!" There was a woman on the floor whose eyes were pools the reflected the light of the room. She enveloped her daughter, kissing her forehead many times as if it would tone down the pain. "People are coming to help you right now. They're coming to help you!"

The girl, recently turned 7, was shaking from the pain in her arm. Her sobs had already alerted the neighbors this late in the evening. Her form shivered even though the room was warm. The state she was in... it was tearing apart the mother and father who had no idea what to do.

"It's gonna be okay, sweetie!" the mother reassured, choking on her words throughout her sobs. "Everything will be fine!"

The girl believed her mother, she always did, but the burn that grew underneath her skin, that was in her bones, in her muscles seemed to affect her voice as well. She couldn't even muster a word. Maybe it was the pain, maybe it was the bawling, or maybe it was the fear that was bottled in the center of her chest. She remembered how it all started, but how it came to this? That question screamed louder than the burn of her arm.

The father finally fell to his knees and wrapped his arms around the two females, rocking back and forth in attempts to ease any one of them, including himself.

It wasn't until 1:48 a.m. when the ambulance finally arrived. It broke the couple's hearts to see the men carry her to the van all the while her screams got louder.

That was the first night it all happened. And it all began from a paper cut she had caused fro herself when she finished up her homework earlier that night. How things took such a drastic turn... nobody could seem to answer that question. Nobody.