31. huge distraction

Chapter 31

Oriya Deronte

I woke up groggy and with an intense headache. I was in my own bed in the same clothes as last night. The window was open, letting the sun shine inside as a light breeze went through the room.

I looked around the room to see Vincent sitting on my desk chair, beside my bed with his legs propped up onto my bed, beside my feet. His tie was loose and just like always there was a single strand of hair that fell perfectly on his forehead.

Beside my bed there was a glass of water and an Advil placed on a sticky note that read,

For the headache. Please take it.

Laurent.

I turned back to Vincent. He was dead asleep. This was my chance to kill him. The perfect opportunity. The truce was no more existent, and he was completely vulnerable. His knife that I had taken was sitting on my bedside table like it had been for the past month. I guess he saw it.

I decided to freshen up first because my headache was killing me. I walked over to the bathroom and did my normal morning routine. The whole time I was thinking about what happened yesterday.

The random attack didn't feel so random. We already finished Antonio which led me to believe Vincent had a hand in this, but he seemed surprised when he saw the bruises himself. I doubt it was him.

As I walked out my eyes landed on the nightstand again.

Not only was his knife and the sticky note there, his gun was too. He had nothing to defend himself with other than his hands. I could kill him right now, and so I decided I would.

I quietly went over to the stand, careful not to wake him up. I took my knife in my hand and creeped up next to him. I lightly pushed the strand back. I didn't move for about 10 seconds to make sure my action didn't wake him up.

When he didn't, I put the knife to his heart. My hand began shaking. Everything in me was telling me to retrieve my hand for a reason I was unknown to. His breathing was still even. He was asleep, it was my chance.

I applied slight pressure on the knife against my body's will. My heart and mind were telling me two different things. I held the knife there. I couldn't get myself to do it. I knew I should but my body was going against me.

"Do it, amore." He says, with his eyes still closed. Shivers went down my spine at his voice. It was a cruel effect that only he had on me.

The sudden words caused me to jump back slightly. I didn't know he was awake let alone being aware there was a knife to his heart. Why wasn't he trying to kill me? Why wasn't he moving?

His eyes snapped open as he grabbed my hand and ripped the knife out of it. It caught me off guard and as I was about to punch him with my other hand, he caught it. He turned me around so that my back was facing his front.

We stood in front of the mirror. He was glaring at me in the reflection and I glared right back. His hand trailed up and down the side of my body. He breathed onto my neck, making every hair on my body stand up.

He pulled my head back using my hair until my head was resting on his shoulder. I sucked in a deep breath at his actions. His head dipped to my neck as his lips brushed against it.

"I showed you some kindness. I didn't kill you last night when I had the perfect chance. It doesn't mean you're not my enemy anymore. Keep that in your fucking head." He hissed.

"I never fucking told you no, dumbass." I cursed, elbowing his stomach and turning around to face him. "Why the fuck didn't you?" I asked.

"Because if you die, you'll die to my hands and my hands only. That asshole already did damage. I wouldn't get full credit." He shrugged.