61. date night

Chapter 61

Vincent Laurent

So maybe she didn't hate it. I wasn't sure though, I couldn't tell.

I jogged a little in order to catch up with her since she was already at the door. She tried opening the door but it wouldn't budge. Her face scrunched in confusion, and she tried again. I could've just told her it wouldn't open without the key but it was fun watching her struggle.

She peaked her head inside and realized there was nobody inside. "Uh, Vincent? There's nobody here. I think it's closed."' She said, checking the sign at the front which shows the hours."

"That's because I have the keys, idiot." I said, fishing the key out of my pocket and unlocking the front door. I let her walk in and even though the bakery is closed, the smell of sweets hits my nostrils.

"Why do you have the keys?"

"Because we're going to make a cake. From scratch." I mumbled under my breath. I felt embarrassed. She probably thinks this is so stupid.

Her head whips to mine and a huge grin spread across her face. "Aw, that's adorable." She said, getting on her tippy toes to pinch my cheeks.

I smacked her hand away, "Don't get too excited. It's a contest."

"That makes it better. What's the prize?"

"No prize. We'll just see who the better baker is."

"Got it." She said, with a determined look in her eyes.

I led her over to the baking section where I already laid out the ingredients the night before so she wouldn't have to go through the hassle of finding it. There were two ovens and a cardboard divider in between the huge counter.

I rolled up my sleeves, "Ready?"

"Ready." She tried to copy my action only to realize she didn't have sleeves. She was wearing a dress. My lips twitched and she glared at me, "Shut up."

We started off with preparing the baking pans and then preheating the oven to whatever temperature it was supposed to be. She reached into the shelves and took out different icing and decorations for the cake.

I was looking around the bakery and my eye caught a speaker in the corner with a wire connected to it. I walked over to it and connected my phone. I scrolled through my playlists until I found the one I made for Oriya and I for us to listen to together before everything happened.

"Is that us?"

I turn my head to see Oriya peeking over my shoulder at my phone. I look back at my phone at the playlist cover. It was a picture of the two of us hugging which Lucas took. I have to thank him later.

"Yeah, it is."

She smiles, "You put my favourite singer in there."

"I did." I nod.

"I thought you didn't like her."

"I don't, but you do."

She gives me another and walks over to where the cake set up is. "C'mon Laurent, we have work to do."

About 20 minutes went by and truth be told, we didn't get too far. The witch kept dancing as she mixed together the ingredients which caused a lot of spills that she told me to clean up. And of course, I did.

We were just about to add the eggs in when the bell chimed, meaning someone walked in. That's weird, I thought I locked the door behind us. I'm pretty sure the front door has the closed sign on it as well.