56. heart

Chapter 56

Vincent Laurent

My phone rings again and Lucas' name flashes on the screen again. I hit the red button again. Next comes Theo, followed by Sienna and Kena. They're been calling me non-stop, trying to reach me.

I haven't bothered to answer them. I don't want to know what they'll tell me. I'm scared of the result they'll tell me. I'm fucking terrified.

Flashbacks play out vividly in my head and I hate it with every cell of my being. Waking up and seeing her missed calls. Answering the voicemail. Listening to her voice break. Shouting for my men to track the necklace as I take deep breaths to calm myself down.

Getting there. Seeing her body. Feeling her go limp in my arms. Carrying Oriya in my arms. Placing her in the car. Driving recklessly in order to get her to the hospital in time. Screaming and shouting for help.

When the four first arrived at the hospital. How hard Kena was sobbing. Lucas trying to comfort her as he tried not to break himself. Theo explaining the situation to Sienna. Sienna screaming to get a chance to see her.

I remember it all.

After they arrived, I went straight to the home I had bought for Oriya and I. I can't handle it. I look around the quiet and empty place, wondering if the two of us will ever even get the chance to live in it like I had hoped.

I push open the door to the master bedroom bathroom. One look at me and you'd assume I've walked straight out of a warzone. There's blood all over me. My hairs a fucking mess. My eyes are bloodshot red.

My head's an empty space. I can't think. Mainly because I don't want to. I know all I would be able to think about right now is if Oriya's heart is beating or not. It's best if I just keep it empty.

After I watched Oriya's body get taken away into the emergency surgery room, I left as soon as I could. I don't want any updates. I don't want to know if I'll ever get to kiss her or not. I don't want to know if my love is alive or not.

My hands are still shaking as I try to wash off the blood from them. They haven't stopped ever since I saw Oriya laying on the ground in a pool of her own blood. My eyes welled up in tears.

I turn on the sink and watch as her blood slowly rinses off and goes down into the drain. I glance at myself in the mirror again. I want to wash my face but I can't get myself to move the hands I held Oriya's body in.

"She's okay. She'll be okay." I mumble again and again, reassuring myself. I'm not sure if I even believe that.

A flash of her smile passes through my head and I shut my eyes closed, trying to get the image out of my head. I hate this. I hate it so much. I don't think I'll be able to take another loved one's death.

I walk back until my back hits the door. I lean against it and watch my phone buzz on the counter, Kena calling me again. I can't get myself to answer it. I can't even get myself to move. I'm tired. I'm so fucking tired.

Everything feels cold and empty. Just like how my life used to be, when Oriya wasn't mine. I feel like I'm going back into the cycle I was in when my mother passed away. No pain would ever measure to the one I felt then and do right now.

"Oriya." I sob, falling to my knees. I can't hold it in anymore.

I hear calls pull up right outside the house. I still can't move from the floor. I know who it is so I'm not really bothered. My chest tightens and I scream out, feeling immense pain. The door bursts open and they follow the sound of my cries.

Lucas walks in with a tear stained face. His eyes land on me. We make eye contact and without me saying anything, he wraps his arms around me. I don't move away from him. I needed it right now.