- ; [ 002 ]

"You're usually out with Lord Koshar and his friend, what brings you to this year's celebration?" she questions, her formal tone dropping by the smallest bit.

"Actually, I heard about Sovieshit's mistress, so I came here with the intention of beating his majesty!" you quietly exclaim a little too happily, worrying the duchess, but she's sure Navier had told you not to do so. "Speaking of mistress, where is that bitch?" you look around before turning your attention to back to duchess Tuania.

"Ah, I believe she's that white haired woman over there. It seems the foreign nobles have taken a liking to her." The
duchess sighs, inwardly glaring at the concubine.

"But, Do not cause her any trouble, I fear that would only worsen her majesty's case. Please, have a drink instead." The ravennett turns towards a waiter, signaling that he give you the wine.

You graciously accept the wine, swirling it in the glass before taking a sip. Your eyes sparkle as you take in the new flavor, "What wine is this? I don't believe I've tasted this before..." you raise your head to the Duchess with sparkling eyes and she laughs at your expression. "It's strawberry wine. I heard the empress herself arranged this banquet, so you have her to thank."

Before you could nod, the ball room stills, the music halting it's melodies. 'it must be time for Navier and Sovieshu to make their entrances.' you think to yourself before turning towards the grand stairs where the emperor and empress walk down, hand in hand.

However, the emperor is quick to move away from Navier once they reach the bottom of the stairs, his feet moving towards the famous mistress.

When Navier spots Rashta amongst the circle of foreign nobles, a wave of bitterness flashes through her eyes and her lips tug down to a frown.

"Ah, I think I spot baron Lant over there, you should greet him. It has been a while since you two have seen each other, no? he must be missing you quite a bit considering how lovesick he's been for you." The duchess interrupts you before you could approach the empress.

"But Navier—"

"It's alright, I'll speak to her majesty."

She smiles gently, assuring you that she'll make sure to lift the empress' mood. You nod hesitantly before turning your heels, walking towards the baron who conversed with other nobles. Most likely talking about the financial stand point of the imperial family, considering that managing money was more his forte.

Once you join their circle, you greet them with a bow, knowing that once you'd be spotted breaking the etiquette rules, you'd immediately be shamed and scolded by the higher society.

"fine night, isn't it, gentlemen?"

From the corner of your eye, you swore you could see comical dog ears and tails on baron Lant, his eyes beaming at you as his tail wags enthusiastically. You fight back a laugh, covering your quivering smile with the glass of wine you held.

It takes a few scrutinizing moments before the nobles excuse themselves to talk with the rest of the guests and the moment they leave, Lant happily hugs you, exclaiming your name in a fond whisper. "Lady ( y/n ), you've returned!" he greets once more, only this time, he's more relaxed with the higher members gone. You laugh and return the hug, "Yes, I returned just a few hours ago to see the empress."

You separate from the hug, ignoring the quiet noise of protest from him. "I heard his majesty the emperor recently took in a mistress, so I've come to...politely welcome her into the royal family." you smile, but it doesn't reach your eyes. The baron pauses, sweat dripping from his pores as he avoids eye contact. "M-my lady, I assure you, his Majesty's mistress isn't all too bad.."