- ; [ 013 ]

A week.

A week was what it took for Navier and Sovieshu to return.

But there were no hard feelings. Sovieshu getting sick was an uncontrollable thing and there wasn't much anyone in the Imperial villa could do.

Okay, maybe there were a tiny bit of hard feelings, but that was only because 6 nights and 7 days of handling the Empire was more than mentally draining. Your eyebags had darkened and grown, and you've lost the tiniest bit of weight from skipping dinner meals.

Aside that topic, you were now in the crystal house, having a tea party that was being hosted by Duchess Tuania.

The atmosphere was light, cheery and most of all, full of gossips.

You decide to ignore them, not wanting to include yourself in the drama, and instead place more desserts on your plate, hoping a sugar rush would brighten your mood.

"Oh dear, it seems I'm late."

You—and everyone else in that party, turn towards the voice, finding Duke Ergi walking towards the Crystal House with Rashta behind him. He kneels in front of Navier, a grin on his face as he motions out a hand, "Your Majesty. It's an honor to finally meet you."

Navier places her hand on the Duke's and he takes his time to kiss the back of the Empress' hand, "Are you Duke Ergi Claude?"

"I'm amazed you knew who I was right away."

Navier simply nods.

"Good Afternoon, your Majesty." The ex-slave greets, an awkward tone to her voice as she bows her head.

"I didn't know that you would be coming with Lady Rashta." Tuania notes, avoiding eye contact as a bead of sweets drips down her cheek.

You inwardly groan and irritably furrow your brows at the sight of the mistress. It was enough that you were forced to invite the woman to eat breakfast with, but it was too much for her to spoil the last party you'd spend with Navier before returning to Koshar.

The table goes quiet as Rashta sits before Duchess Tuania decides to speak. "Have you heard news about the Baron Riven?"

Ah, the gossips shall start once more.

You sigh, blocking out the chatter and instead take your time to cut your mini-cake with the cake knife, watching as the bread falls apart, chocolate custard filling dribbling down the sides.

You grin and take your fork, stabbing it through the dessert and humming in delight once the cake makes contact with your taste buds.

You take the cake knife once more to cut up more pieces of your cake.

"I heard it's common for nobles to have lovers outside of their Marriage. So it seems that's true."

Rashta's annoying high pitched voice calls your attention. Seems you can't block out every irritation in life.

"Well, it's true that there are more married couples who have lovers than couples who don't."

"Unless they are a good match like Countess Eliza and her Husband, that is."

"It's because it's conventional to marry of convenience."

Three noble men answer Rashta, voice seemingly rushed.

You were pressured into marriage at some point too. But with the art of threatening and intimidation, you managed to scare off the pressing nobles who offered their sons. (You kind of wished they offered beautiful daughters too)

"Actually, I was shocked to hear that Duchess Tuania has five lovers. But since that's nothing out of the ordi-"

Your body moves before you can think rationally, red flooding your vision as you jump across the table, several plates falling off with loud crashes, and stop in front of Rashta, one hand violently holding onto her jaw, and the other, gripping the knife, pointing straight into her eyeball.

[ i got lazy making this halfway through ]

She completely freezes, along with everyone else present, tears gathering at her eyes as she begins to cower in fear.

"Now, Rashta. Don't forget that you are a whore, yourself." You start, rotating the knife in small circles as she flinches, knowing that the blade is less than a centimeter away from touching her eye. "Didn't you seduce the Emperor, knowing that he loved our Empress dearly?" you ask, smiling as you tilt your head to the side.

"( y/n )! Stand down!" Navier rises from her seat, voice panicked as she stares at Rashta in worry.

"h-hah! w-what's a cake knife g-going to do to m-me?" Rashta builds the courage the speak, voice clearly afraid and body still shaking.

You laugh, tightening your grip on her jaw and lowering the knife to her cheek. "Hm...would you like to know?" you sing, piercing the knife through her delicate skin, blood seeping from the cut as she gasps in pain, "Now, would you like a longer cut? Or perhaps a deeper cut?" you ask, pausing as you bring your face closer to her.

"( y/n )!" Navier calls your attention, voice much more distressed.

You sigh and pause, pulling the knife out from the shallow cut and walking off the table. Dropping the bloodied knife on the floor. "My apologies." you bow, a sincere hand on your chest. "I didn't mean to make this wonderful party unpleasant. I will pay for the damages I've caused."

"Moreover, I'll be returning to the Border. I'm afraid my appetite has been lost." You lift your upper body and walk away, eyes glaring at the ground as you curse the Mistress.

It was easy to connect the lines. With the way Duke Ergi seemed to calmly smile as Rashta insulted the Duchess, it was clear that they were planning Tuania's downfall. You wondered why though. You assumed their scheme would only harm Rashta, not harm the others in price of Rashta's own demise.

You sigh, ordering one of the nearby maids to bring a pen and paper.

You'll send a warning to Navier, and hope that she'd understand your words before they can ruin Tuania's life.