- ; [ 010 ]

You grin, dropping it into a friendly smile before you turn to Duke Ergi. "My, what brings you here Duke? I was just about to enjoy my early dinner meal." you state before turning once more. You head to the garden, this time, the one nearest to your quarters. You're sure he'd be much more cautious of people watching this time around. You've also sent the maids and prepared an excuse for the lack of servants so he wouldn't grow wary.

"Although I do apologize for the emptiness. I usually prefer to dismiss the maids and butlers before eating my meal. I like to enjoy my food alone." you lie as you walk, taking a seat once you've arrived by the dining space.

He smiles, shaking his head dismissively. "It's quite alright. I understand your preferences." he pauses, taking his own seat and looking around. "You have quite a variety of gardens in the Eastern Empire. Are your people perhaps fond of them?" he asks,  curious, but you know this is him trying to confirm something.

Inwardly raising an eyebrow, you decide to answer honestly, "Oh, no no." you answer, feigning fluster, "I actually really enjoyed trees and flowers as a child, so naturally, when the Emperor took notice of my likings, he had different kinds of gardens built for me."

He looks like he's gotten his answer.

You almost blurt out a noise of confusion, thinking of which part of your sentence answered an indirect question. It takes you less than a while to figure it out. He wanted to know if you were close with the Imperial family. You wondered why he wanted that information. It was common knowledge that you were practically of Royal Blood, but then again, he wasn't from the Eastern Empire.

"Shall I have another set of meal brought? They've only prepared one for me as per usual. They did not expect you to come, it seems." You offer, tucking a leg under the other as you make yourself comfortable in your seat.

"Oh, I'm alright. I'm afraid I'm still full as I've eaten late lunch just a few hours ago. I'd like to stay here and chat though, if you're comfortable with that." he smiles, leaning onto the table as he rests his chin on his palm. He watches as you nod and smile, picking up the knife and fork from the sides of the dish. The blade slices into the steak, remnants of flavor flowing from within as your part the meat with ease. It looked absolutely appetizing. "Steak for dinner?" he asks, not noticing the tone of rudeness within the question itself.

You laugh, "Quite audacious of you to judge a lady's meal, Duke." you tease. You didn't truly mind.

For now, you didn't have to worry about getting answers as you've already gotten them earlier today. It was his turn to have questions answered.

"O-oh, I apologize my Lady...I was just curious as it isn't a usual dinner meal." He apologizes, "Are you perhaps fond of meat?"

You nod, piercing the fork through the smaller piece of meat you sliced and bite into it, "I am." you hum happily at the savory flavors, relishing in the small sweetness of the seasonings and sourness from the lemon. The chef never fails to please you.

"I see, I am too. My mother has always cooked steak for me when I was much younger." he chuckles, still continuing to watch you eat.

You shuffled uncomfortably, 'is the truth serum from the wine still affecting him?' you question yourself, chewing on the meat. "I see. Were you perhaps a mother's boy?" you ask, half teasing as you grin widely. Koshar had also been a mother's boy at some point in his life. The duchess would spoil him with sweets until he grew and became naughty.

"w-well, I'd be lying if I said no..." He laughs, awkwardly scratching his nap as he looks away.

"It's unfortunate that she has fallen ill..." you blurt out without thinking, your gaze leaving his for a moment to slice more pieces off of your steak.

All of a sudden, he stands up and grabs you by the collar, a violent look in his eyes as he grits his teeth. You stare back at him in surprise, eyes widened and mouth agape. "Duke...?" you manage to choke out without stuttering, a bead of sweat rolling down your cheek.

"Thought I was still under the influence of that truth serum?" he chuckles, lips carving up to a grin. His emerald eyes dig into your soul, searching for secrets that he knows won't ever leave your lips. The way he looks at your tells you he's knowing, yet at the same time unknowing. It irks you for a second, but you refuse to let him affect you.

"Seems I've been caught." you awkwardly admit, raising your hands in defeat. This wasn't much of one anyway. You've gotten enough answers.

"What are your actual plans, My Lady?" he insists, leaning closer to your face as he still doesn't let you down. The collar is beginning to restrict your breathing but your instincts refuse to show weakness.

"Don't get me wrong Duke, I'm just a mad woman in love." you cough, the skin between your eyebrows crinkling as your wince painfully. Hopefully that lie was enough to be seen as logic. You're aware of rumors about ladies going too far with their obsessions so why not use that as your loophole?

He finally lets you down, but keeps his hand crunched with your collar in his fist. "I've heard about women going mad with love, but..." His tone tells your he knows you're lying. "I hadn't thought I'd have a personal encounter with one of them."

You don't respond, and for once you're backed into a corner you didn't know you were being pushed into. You didn't think he'd be aggressive.

With no words exchanged, he lets you go and walks away.

———

The night is young, and time has come for young teenagers to sneak out.

That includes Duke Ergi, except he wasn't a teenager.

Quiet chatter fill the room of Prince Heinley, all the maids and butlers long retired into their chambers. The only ones on duty are the knights, but they are far and stationed around the gates of the palace.

"So you've met ( y/n )?" The blonde man grins, wondering if that certain noble Lady had tricked his dear friend.

"Oh, of course." Ergi chuckles, guessing that Heinley was indeed acquainted with you. "She tricked me into drinking a truth serum. Perhaps I let my guard down far too soon." he lightly scolds himself. "Though I'm surprised she's going along with your petty plan."

Heinley freezes and this makes the duke raise an eyebrow in growing nervousness. "W-what? She knows of our plans?" he asks, biting his inner cheek, brows furrowed.

"Did you not tell her?" Ergi asks, knowing the answer is as obvious as the concern in Heinley's expression.

The blonde prince shakes his head, "I-I suppose she wouldn't mind...considering as she holds great resentment for that mistress. And by the way, how were you aware of the truth serum in your drink? I heard from around that it's quite the challenge to figure out if it's spiked your drink." Heinley asks, genuinely interested.

"I'll be honest, I hadn't suspected anything until I found myself wanting to see her more. I only confirmed my suspicions when I took a risk and grabbed her by the collar. From my fantastic view, I could see the empty bottle from her in-pockets. I'm glad truth serum bottle have a unique design to them." Duke Ergi chuckles, shaking his head.

Heinley pauses, a shit-eating grin stretching his lips, "Why would you want to see her more? I do hope you know that wanting to see a person desperately is most definitely not an effect of the serum. I'd say it's more of a....you know? Love effect?"

"Why would she include a love potion in my drink?"

"Exactly Ergi. She wouldn't."

———

not proof read please excuse any mistakes for the time being.