THIRTY ONE

◜       ◝

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗢𝗡𝗘𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒏

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗢𝗡𝗘
𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒏

◟       ◞

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

"Yeah, they're a bunch of fancy people. They've had, like, three governors in the family," Kiara said the next morning as they drove to Limbrey's house. Kyla and JJ were able to fall back asleep, only for them to have to wake up shortly after. "They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years."

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues," JJ added before Pope pulled up the large house.

"Let's just hope they don't act like our Kooks," Kyla said and Kiara nodded in agreement with her.

"You sure this is the place, Pope?" JJ asked as he looked out the window, towards the large house.

"Pretty sure," Pope answered in a deep voice.

"All right," JJ said before he opened the truck door, hopping out. Kyla scooted out after him, dusting her shorts down since they got crinkled up while sitting.

After they all got out, Pope held the letter up to read the address to make sure they got it correct. "'Twenty-seven King Street'," he read aloud.

Kyla looked up at the large, spiky gates in front of her, blocking the way in. They seem to have a lot of security, she thought, not knowing if that was a green or red flag.

"Talk about home security," JJ pointed out, gesturing towards the gates.

"I was thinking the same thing," Kyla muttered, tilting her head as she examined the scary looking gates.

JJ glanced over at her before he asked, "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

Kiara slightly shook her head. "No," she said.

"The slave quarters are over there," Pope said, pointing over to one side of the house. Kyla's mouth parted before Pope sighed and answered, "These spikes were to keep people in."

"Oh, my God," Kyla whispered breathlessly, definitely docking the gates to be a giant red flag now.

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

Pope banged on the door, using the knocker that was on it, three times. "You think that was too much?" Pope questioned as he backed up from the door.

"It echoed the entire house, that's for sure. So they definitely heard it," JJ told him.

"Maybe nobody's home," Kiara said with a scared expression plastered on her face.