THIRTY EIGHT

◜       ◝

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝒕𝒓𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔

𝒕𝒓𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔

◟       ◞

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

After Kyla arrived back at the Château, she tried her hardest to avoid JJ. But it was difficult when Sarah and John B were outside while Kiara and Pope were inside, and she really didn't want to barge in on any of those duos at the moment...

But she had to be with JJ once he got a call about something happening to Pope's father. "Let me know if I'm hurting you," Sarah said as she carefully placed a bandage on Heyward's head.

"No, you're doing just fine," Heyward told her before he groaned. "Thank you, darlin'."

"Pop, what happened?" Pope immediately asked.

"Oh, I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee...in my chest, and asked me about that — that — that key from that — that drawing you showed me," Heyward explained, making Kyla's brows furrow in realization. "And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothin'. Now did you track it down?"

Pope slowly reached for his back pocket before he pulled out a key, holding it out towards his father. "I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment right above the pharmacy just like you said it was," Pope told him as he sat down.

"Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me. I wouldn't had to take a beating," Heyward replied in offense, making Kyla suck in a breath. "Now what's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?"

"I don't know. First, I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet this rich lady who — who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family," Pope answered.

"None of it makes any sense," Kiara said softly, shaking her head. Kyla nodded in agreement, pushing her hair away from her face.

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it. Figure it out!" Heyward directed.

"No. I'm just gonna give the key to that lady. It's just not worth—"

"No, no, no, no. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?" Heyward cut him off.

Pope shook his head. "No, sir."

"Well, all right. Now, I-I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now..." he trailed off before he pointed to his head. "Now? I'm interested. Well, did they say why they wanted it?"