THIRTY FIVE

◜                                                           ◝

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘
𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒍𝒐𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈

◟                                                            ◞

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

The judge struck the gavel twice in the court room. "John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances," the judge said and Kyla's face fell even more than it already had been. "If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." The judge then struck the gavel again.

Kyla let out a quiet gasp, tears starting to form in her eyes for the millionth time ever since John B had gotten arrested. "Your Honor, he's 17!" JJ shouted as he stood up.

"Quiet!" the judge yelled.

"Stop. Stop," Kiara quickly said, standing up and putting a hand on a him. Kyla slowly got up, not caring that JJ was shouting at a government official since he was right. John B was only 17, and he had only just turned that age, too. He didn't deserve any of this.

None of them did.

"He's 17! Are you kidding me?" JJ continued, pointing at the judge angrily.

"We're good, we're good," Pope said, also trying to push him back.

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out!" JJ assured him, but Kyla wasn't so sure that they would. How would they even get out of this? She had already tried to tell Shoupe the truth a few nights back, but he didn't even believe her.

"John B!" Sarah shouted as she cried, trying to make her way over to her boyfriend. "John B! John B, no!" she cried before and officer stepped in front of her, trying to push her away.

"Sarah!" Kiara said, grabbing Sarah's arms. "Stop, don't touch her!" Kiara yelled at the officer before he took his hands off of the crying blonde. "Let's go, Sarah. Let's get out of here."

As the five of them walked out, Kyla continued to not say anything. JJ had noticed that she was keeping quiet, but didn't want to ask if she was okay since he could see she was on the verge of tears and he didn't want her to explode in front of everyone.

"Is this a joke? Like, are we in hell or...?" Kiara trailed off as they walked down the steps outside the court room.

"I should have never come home," Sarah commented in a congested voice from all the crying she had just done.

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it," JJ told them, making eye contact with Kyla for a brief second before he looked away. Every time he had looked at her, he was reminded of the fact that they kissed...but she didn't even remember it. And it wasn't like he could tell her now with everything going on; it would probably only make things worse.