FORTY ONE

◜                                                           ◝

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗢𝗡𝗘
𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒆

◟                                                            ◞

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

After the death of Ward Cameron, Kyla had laid low. She wasn't sad that he died, it was just that all of her emotions had been rolled into one and she wasn't sure she could handle seeing anyone without breaking down.

She was a mess.

She had nowhere to stay and avoided the Pogues. She didn't want to burden them with her emotional breakdown that she had going on. And she didn't think she could handle seeing JJ right then, either. It would just bring up another batch of emotions that she didn't need.

Luckily for her, though, her bedroom window was always left unlocked. Even though her parents had practically disowned her, it didn't mean that she couldn't still sleep in her own bed and get new clothes. They just couldn't know.

So, every time the sun went down and she knew that they were sleeping, she climbed up the side of the house (which wasn't a high climb) and snuck in her room, making sure to lock her door just in case they tried going on.

Then, when the sun had just risen, she would always get up and get changed and leave so that her parents wouldn't even know she was there.

It was what she had been doing until the night of bonfire.

She had overheard some teens talking about it whenever she would walk through town to try and find a bite to eat (taking the money from her room), and she thought, Maybe I could try to have fun.

She knew that she would probably see the Pogues there, but she was planning on getting drunk again since she wanted a break from her overthinking mind.

When she had arrived at the bonfire, she felt very out of place. Even though it had been going on every year on the same weekend, she had never actually been to it. Sure, Sarah and Tara would always drag her there, but she easily snuck away because they had been too drunk to notice.

But now, she was determined to be the drunk one.

Once she felt comfortable enough, she grabbed a drink and began to down it, trying to let loose. She repeated the process, feeling her tense body begin to release that tension that had built up over time. By the time the Pogues had shown up, she was pretty drunk. Not the point where she would black out, but definitely to the point where she would say some stupid shit.

But she hadn't seen them and they hadn't seen her because of the amount of people that were there.

She was dancing with another drink in her hand, swaying the beat of the music freely. A smile was dawned on her face since she was no longer thinking about everything at once.