Chapter Forty-eight

draco malfoy

Astoria and I walked out of the restaurant together. We just finished having our early dinner with our families. It was almost a week ago after the one of the worst nights. The night when Astoria and I were schemed to get married.

We were both shocked, especially me but no one complained nor argued by the fact. Their parents, especially my father, were really determined for the both of us to be married as soon as possible. It would be better to start our business again if our big names are also combined, as they suggest. Knowing my father, it's not about the business why he is doing this.

That night came to an end without me saying a word, except when I was asked to speak. After all, what else should I say if my father had planned all the things I had to do.

He wanted me to marry Astoria, not because of the money, not because of the power and fame, but because of the damaged reputation of our family, which after all he was the only one to blame.

I breathed heavily and recalled that one specific night of my life that I would never forget. The night my Father ruined everything by joining forces with Voldemort. The night he tumbledown the family I was just starting to build. One bloody night that messed up my whole life.

Then now he would say, "Draco, give me and Astoria many grandchildren to inherit our treasures." Oh fuck, no. Not with Astoria, not with anyone. I'd rather donate my part like I did before.

"Astoria, dear, do you agree to marry Draco?"

They are asking this to us now that we're surrounded by people as if they are seeking for attention from those who are hearing. But what exactly will Astoria answer? Yes, we were both surprised that night even though I knew it was going to happen, but there's still part of me that held on to the light and hoped that she would refuse.

Draco, it's different. It's just an arranged marriage. She doesn't love you and you don't love her, too. But I don’t want to refuse the chance. I didn’t want to turn down this opportunity to break free from the hand of my hurtful and abusive father. And I feel like something good is going to happen today.

Argh! Astoria just nodded with a smile on her red lips. That's right. I had no hope of being free and be happy the way I wanted to. Because at the end of the day, I will always be the one to lose the battle. The one who will never have the freedom.

"Good. How about you, Draco?"

"I'm fine with it." I coldly replied and resumed drinking. It was as if my heart wanted to leap away from my body in rage. "For the business, I'm fine with it."

Yes. I just agreed for the business as discussed. Because I can’t see myself loving anyone else if not Aurora. But, I immediately encouraged myself as she always told me before. After all, that was the only reason I agreed to the marriage offer.

"Well, this is settled, then. In six months time, we will have a grand wedding. And the unity of the Malfoys and Greengrasses. Cheers!"

-

narrator

Since then, Draco and Astoria have been constantly dating. Every day she will bring her cooked food to his house so he can have something to eat. It's a bit rude of him because he doesn't let her in his house, but it's okay. She'll soon rule that house with their little kids, she thought.

I thought, now that Draco and I are always together, why not make him fall in love with me? We talked hotly. So, maybe he's attracted to me somehow?

"Draco?" Astoria called shyly as they both sit at the park bench under the shadow of a tree. She scooted closer to him and tried to lean on his broad shoulders but he absently moved away that made her emotions drop from her innocent face.