Chapter 10: Second Chances

On the monday I woke up late, but it didn't matter because my classes started later than usual. My first class was Chemistry. I was partnered with a girl called Izzy, who was really sweet and pretty. We spent the whole class writing up formulas into a powerpoint presentation.

Next lesson was maths. Uugghh. I'm partnered with a complete idiot called Bradley and he never shuts up. He's on the football team with Jack. Although Jack plays as a midfielder whereas Bradley is most of the time, a sub, on the bench. He is also very stupid. Brain like a sieve. He always copies my answers, which I work very hard to figure out and then always gets the credit. Stupid football sub! The class finally finishes and I pack my bag to head to my next class. History. Then it hits me. This is the class I have to sit next to my so called boyfriend, if I can even still call him that, who has ignored me since the night where I was basically attacked. I was dreading it and I was definitely not looking forward to the potential risk of me storming back to Dawson's, grabbing a gun and using my little trick on his man pride and then getting suspended for it; so if he did so much as look at me in the wrong way, it would be bye bye to my perfect record. I was clever and tried very hard in school but I was not the 'perfect' student. The simple thing was, if I did anything wrong, or got caught, Jack would take the blame as he wasn't thinking about university like I was. I wasn't keen on the idea at first but I had to admit, it did have its perks. I mean it isn't like I go round spray painting rude or violent slogans on the walls or set fire to things in chemistry, or anything like that. Just if I ever skip class (with Jack and Beth and Danny) he would take the blame saying he forced us to go. We didn't that often, just when we do, thats always the plan. But other than that I am very well behaved.

I walked into history to find him sitting there in his sunglasses again. Like the day we first met. I sat in my seat and didn't say a word. Mr Jones said we were having another independent revision class but could work in pairs if we wished. I wished not. All other girls in class paired up with their best friends, but as my best friend was in physics, I guess I was working on my own, because until I got a decent apology and explanation about that night, there was no way in hell, that would make me speak to him. We sat there in silence for a while. It was hard for me to not turn round and give him a piece of my mind and possibly a punch to the face but I wasn't going to crack first. I could feel his eyes burning into my back again. Once again like the first time we met. I remembered that day do clearly I could actually feel the paper ball hit my head. But it all felt to real, then I noticed that he had actually thrown one at me. Reluctantly I opened it. I was expecting the usual cliche, 'its not you its me' break up speech but to my surprise it wasn't.

'We need to talk cupcake' he had scribbled on it. I did not want to talk because I would probably end up crying and letting him win so instead I put my headphones in and played one of my favourite bands. I wad halfway through the first song when he took one of my ear buds out.

"I'm sorry cupcake" he whispered. I ignored him and put my headphone back in. He didn't touch them after that. The next thing I know, my phone beeps, interrupting my song. I looked at the text. Ugghh. It was him.

Tom: You're gonna have to talk to me sooner or later cupcake

Tom: Seriously, this is getting us nowhere. Just talk to me

Tom: Don't you know what will happen if you don't talk to me?

This intrigued me.

Me: What?

Tom: I'm going to have to force you

Me: And how will you do that?

Tom: Like this...

What? Then I felt his hand touch my thigh and he scooted his chair closer to mine. I gasped as he moved my hair away from my neck and gently kissed it. I gasped again. Was he serious? The hand that was on my thigh had slowly worked its way up onto my waist and under my top. I yanked me headphones out and then slapped his hands away.

"Are you actually serious?" I say seriously.

"Told you I could get you to talk to me" he said smugly. Then I realised I had single handedly let him win.

"Whatever"

"Listen cupcake, I'm really sorry. For leaving you when you were so vulnerable. I made a huge mistake that night, and I want to make it up to you" he said quietly so the other people in class couldn't hear.

"I don't know" I said biting my lip.

"Please, give me another chance..." he said. What should I say? Could I give him another chance after what he did? Before I knew what had happened I blurted out

"Fine" and his eyes lit up. He grabbed my face gently in his hands and kissed me slowly on the lips, gaining cheers and whoops from the class much to the annoyance of Mr Jones who saw our little PDA episode at the back of the class.

"Cooper, Smith detention with me in the library after school" he said before putting his head back in his book.

"Thanks a lot genius!" I said glaring at him.

"Your welcome" Then a few seconds later the bell rang for lunch. "Wanna go subway for lunch?" He said while we both stood up.

"No its fine, thanks"

"Ok. See you in detention cupcake" he winked and then kissed my cheek before he walked out the room. As much as I hated what he did, I still liked him as much as it pained me to admit it. I missed his kisses and the way he smells and his smile. Plus he was still technically my boyfriend, so I couldn't exactly ignore him for the rest of my life.

I sat down at lunch and Jack, Danny and Beth were already there. They saved my seat as usual and were munching on their lunches. Beth had a salad, Danny had a tray of chips and Jack had a sandwich that barely fit in his mouth. I pulled out my pasta and started to tuck in. Beth looked at me and couldn't hold back her excitement any longer.

"Come on Jess, spill it! I know something happened with Tom cus gossip spreads like wildfire round here and something has happened because usually we can't shut you up!" She said barely taking a breath.

"Nothing and harsh" I said sinking it my chair slightly.

"I didn't mean it like that and anyway I know something happened cus people have been saying stuff..." She says getting agitated

"Fine fine fine, I'll tell you. Tom... kissed me in class and now we have detention, and he asked me for a second chance" I say quickly trying to get it over with.

"What?!" They all say in unison all with different expressions on their faces.
Beth-excited.
Danny-amused (about the detention)
and Jack-Furious.

"I know" I say, equally as shocked as them.

"What are you going to do?" Beth said excitedly.

"Of course shes not going to give him a second chance. Right Jess?" Jack said answering before I had a chance. I looked down at my food and tried to ignore the question. "Right Jess?" He repeated again.

"Wellllll..." I said sheepishly.

"What? You can't possibly consider giving him another chance after what he did!" Jack said getting angrier.

"He seemed pretty upset to be honest and if I'm being perfectly honest, I still like him. I think I need to hear him out first, see what he has to say"

"Good idea" Beth says and Danny nods in agreement while eating a mouthful of chips.

"Fine. I'm just saying he doesn't seem worth your time Jess" Jack says defeated.

"Listen I just came to eat my lunch, not for a lecture. I'll go eat somewhere else" I said wiping a couple of tears away. I stood up and collected my things and ran off through the lunch hall. I hear them shout my name and telling Jack off, but I'm long gone. If he's so appalled with my choice of boyfriends, then maybe I just shouldn't be his friend...