Chapter 36: Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them

I lay in bed. Just thinking. Or crying. Sometimes both. This is what my routine has been like for days. Its been a week since I found out and it still stings. Less so with the Tom situation, more so with the situation regarding Jack. I still can't believe he would do this to me.

Beth, Izzy and Harriet had been round a couple of times. I missed college everyday this week and I have to say, I miss it. As much as I want to, I can't. Because they'll both be there. Pathetic I know, but I just don't feel ready. Its Saturday now and my Dad keeps pestering me, saying I need to go back. He also I should get over Tom because he never liked him, but the annoying this is, I did. Uggh men. What do they know?

I was dragged out of my thoughts when my phone started ringing. I checked the caller ID and saw that it was Danny. He'd come around once in the past week and it was nice. Danny was like a brother to me. Clicking the green accept button, I put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Jess!" Danny cheered down the phone.

"Hey Danny, you okay?"

"Yep" he said popping the 'p'. "What you doing?"

"Nothing much" I replied.

"Correction, you are now"

"Why, hat are we doing?" I was quite excited. I hadn't done anything with just Danny in a long time, and it would be nice for us to do it again some time.

"We're going to meet Callum and his fiancée" I froze. Jack's brother? I asked the inevitable question.

"Is he going to be there?" I spat, venom evident in my voice.

Danny sighed. "Jess, Callum is his brother. Of course he will. Callum really wants you there, he would have asked you himself but he didn't have your number"

"I... I can't Danny" I whispered.

"Come on Jess. You don't even have to speak to Jack" even his name drove daggers to my heart. "He will just be there. Please Jess, you need to go. You're like a sister to Callum and I'm sure his fiancée would like to meet you, bearing in mind you kept him in check for years. Always setting him straight if their Mom wasn't there to do it. He'd be crushed if you don't go" I smiled at the memories. He was right. It was always Beth and I who would tell the boys to behave. Especially Callum even though he was 5 years our senior. I sighed. Could I do this? Would seeing him make me break even more than I already have?

"I don't know-" He cut me off.

"Please Jess?" I could just picture Danny and his puppy dog eyes.

"Okay fine. What time and where?" I relented.

"One O'clock. Wear something smart and don't worry, I'll pick you up"

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah why not? I'm sure you'll be needing to drink more than me anyway" I laughed.

"Thanks Danny"

"No problem. See you in a bet Jess, love you"

"Love you too Dan" We hung up. I looked at the clock. It was 11:20. So I had just under 2 hours to get ready.

I had a quick shower, and dried and straightened my hair. 12:33.

I rushed to find something to wear, eventually deciding on a pair of pale denim skinny jeans and a cream coloured, chiffon blouse with a silk bow on the front. I put on a small layer of foundation under my eyes to try and cover up the redness from where I'd been crying and then I added a small amount of mascara and a dark shade of red lipstick. I grabbed my white ballet flats and a small matching across the body bag and I was done.