Chapter 28: Long Time No See

"Why are we here again?" Beth winged.

"Because we are here to support one of our best friends" I argued. Jack had a football match and we came to support him, even though Beth constantly winged about it.

"I know but I don't like football. It's boring" she folded her arms and pouted.

"Well Ryan should be here soon, and Danny is bringing the girl he met on New Years Eve and her friend so we should be fine" She nodded thoughtfully. "Plus, you'll get to see some very attractive men in shorts". She squealed in delight.

"Isn't Tom coming?" I shook my head.

"He had a dentist appointment or something" Beth nodded and went back to looking for our friends.

Ryan arrived first. He sat down next to Beth, giving her a quick peck on the lips before sitting down and handing us the snacks we'd asked him to get when he arrived. A little while later Danny arrived, and to say I was shocked at the girl he was with was an understatement. Who knew she'd be interested in Danny? If I'd know, I could of set them up long ago.

"Hello Isabel. I didn't know you'd be coming" I said. She looked up and saw me and grinned.

"Hi Jess. Hi Beth, hi... ummm?"

"Ryan. Nice to meet you"

"Same" Isabel smiled. They edged their way down to the seats beside me. Beth already occupying the seat to my left, they took the right. Isabel sat next to me, then Ryan moved down next to Danny, allowing Harriet to sit next to Beth. So in other words, the order went: Harriet, Beth, Me, Isabel, Danny and then Ryan.

"So how come you didn't tell us you whatever the thing happening between you and Danny was happening?" I grilled.

She blushed. "There's nothing to tell, we're just friends" She said with a small smile. Me and Beth glanced up at each other and narrowed our eyes, knowing that wasn't the case.

"Are you sure about that?" Beth asked, raising an eyebrow. "Just friends, don't kiss like what we saw on new year's eve". Isabel looked down into her lap and blushed a bright shade of red.

"Well, he hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend or anything so..." she said with a small smile.

"Oh he will honey, don't you worry" Beth said with a wink.

"So where were you on new years then Harriet?" I asked.

"Oh I was ill, so I didn't go" I nodded and we started to talk about random things for a while.

A little while later, Jack's team- our college's team also- ran onto the pitch. They started warming up and I noticed Jack scanning the audience for us. I stood up and started waving my arms around like a maniac. Then Beth, Isabel and Harriet joined me and eventually we got his attention. He gave us a wave then smiled and then started to jog again.

We sat down and waited for the other team to come out. The mascot- The Matterson Hill Monkey, named after our college, Matterson Hill- came out and started to dance and get the crowds excited. We all did the Mexican wave and cheered and whooped.

I glanced around the players on the pitch until I saw Jack jumping up and down on the spot nervously. This game really meant a lot to him. Professional team's football scouts were already on the look out for new, young players and Jack was nervous as hell. He wanted this so badly and it was his time to shine as far as I was concerned. I mean I know I'm a little biased but honestly Jack was one of the best players I have ever seen. I really wanted him to do well.

The scouts were going to be attending 4 random matches, so Jack had to be bringing his A-game to every game.

About 5 minutes later the opposing team- known as 'The Blackwood Bears'- came out and started to warm up, completing more or less the same things as our team.