Chapter 37

Across the lands close to the borders of Tristania, a group of people were seen waiting below a huge tree. They were bandits, gathering together for lunch while discussing their later plans to hijack anyone passing by on the road.

"Isn't it a little too risky, boss?" One bandit asked, scuffing down some bread.

"We can always target the highway next to the main road. There is less surveillance there," another confirmed the question.

"I feel like it would be better to do it at the main area. Not many pass by that highway," a third argued against the first two.

"They say more important carriages use the side road though..."

"No, think about it, with our numbers-"

Among their large group, only one person remained silent throughout. Sporting a slightly gruffier and more muscular look than the rest, he spat out a part of the meat that was overcooked from his mouth. He was the group's leader, acting as the main bandit head.

"Business' tougher than usual, must be the city tightening up security after receiving multiple reports," one of them complained. "Should we move location?"

"As if we have a choice..."

"Why fear? Take cover close to the woods,"

"Enough," their boss grunted, tossing aside a bone.

One word was enough to gain the attention of the entire group. Everyone stopped talking and turned to face him, waiting for his orders.

"First, we-"

"Iyaa~~ nice weather we have today?"

The sudden interruption of their boss's words came from two individuals who have suddenly appeared out of nowhere. When they saw them, the entire bandit group got to their feet and held their weapons.

"Oh, please don't mind us, continue," the first person, dressed in a huge dark overcoat, beckoned for the boss to continue speaking. "We are here to listen."

"Ho~ who do we have ourselves here~" Some of the bandits smirked and taunted the two, thinking they were dumb to show up here.

"You, cough up what you have," one of the bandits poked the first guy with his sword. "If you and your friend do, maybe we will let you go."

"Hm, I wonder?" The first person sighed, shrugging as he removed his hands from his pocket. "I don't have anything with me though?"

The entire bandit group hollered with laughter at how casually the first took their words. It was like they had no sense of danger at all. Meanwhile, the second just stood behind the first silently, his hat keeping his facial expressions from being read.

The leader of the bandit group, the boss, got to his feet while dragging his battle axe behind him. Even he, someone who lived off robbing others, knew that the two weren't simply here to cause trouble or take them down. The aura the two exerted... was something no normal person would have.

"Boss?"

"... Everyone, step back," he muttered. "I will deal with them."

Realizing the shift in their boss's tone, the group silently moved away from him. It was clear that the situation was different than they had expected.

"Oh~ you must be the leader," the first didn't seem alarmed that a guy over 190 centimetres was approaching him with a battle axe. "Nice to meet you."

"... What do you want?" The boss narrowed his eyes at the first figure, ignoring the second for now. "If you are here to harass us, leave."

"Oh no, I'm here to employ you, your group, that is," the first smirked at the boss. "I will reward each one of you handsomely."