Chapter 42

Ethan was currently in his office with the one and only Emperor of Aravel, Reginsleif.

With a glass of wine in hand and wife in the other, both rulers were leisurely chatting with each other over the events of the day.

By now, the two had become close acquaintance, not just because of they had a passion for fighting, but also because they had someone who could relate with them. It was tough being rulers, especially for someone like Reginsleif who lived for a few centuries by now.

"I have to say, Ethan, this is some fine alcohol," Reginsleif smacked his lips and savoured the amber liquid. "It was my mistake for not bringing over some of Aravel's products too."

"Haha, no need for that," Ethan, whose guard also dropped as they were no longer in public, smiled at the praise he received. "I am glad that you enjoy it. I was worried that you were already accustomed with the tastes of the world by now."

"Civilizations around the world change fast. Besides, I'm not one to say that I have explored every inch of it either," Reginsleif chuckled. "As the Emperor, you know how it is with travelling too."

"Yes, I agree," Ethan nodded. "What do you think about the fighting display put up earlier today?"

"Hm, I would like to hear my wife's honest opinion before I state mine," Reginsleif turned to face his wife, who was sitting by his side.

"It was great. I am glad to see the potential of the students being treated properly," Laevia commented after her husband requested so of her. "I am a little concerned about some of the participants though."

"Oh? How so?" Ethan raised an eyebrow at this, feeling concerned for her concern. "Is it with them being treated too harshly?"

"No, fighting naturally comes with a challenge, so that is normal," Laevia giggled. "I meant being forced to face the top 10... I understand it is to give perspective of the gap that the first-years have with the upperclassmen, but don't you think this will make some of them get in over their heads?"

"Ah, that might be true," Ethan smiled at her question. "Regarding that, we will have to discuss with the principal, Aldwolf, if you are that concerned, Laevia."

"No, no, just food for thought," Laevia shook her head. "Shall we have Kathy next?"

"It was rather entertaining," Kathy addressed her own opinions. "I'm not a big fighting enthusiast, so I can't give further comment."

"That's alright dear, I will take it from here," Ethan chuckled at his wife's response, as if predicting it already. "The fight wasn't by all means the best, considering it was the performance of just school kids, but it was enough to amuse me."

"Yeah, I'm going to agree on that," Reginsleif gave Ethan a knowing nod. "What was the best fight? I hope this doesn't come off as bias, since I'm going to have to pick my daughter's."

"Shoko's was pretty fascinating too," Kathy quickly added. "I love the display of magic during their fight."

"That much is a given, especially when it suddenly ended before we knew it," Laevia, who personally knew what Shoko was capable of, agreed with Kathy. "Lunaria's fight with the top of the school was great in the sense that she defeated her opponent without using magic."

"Really? I think she was just showing mercy. She would have destroyed the entire school grounds if she wasn't careful enough," Ethan suggested, causing Reginsleif to burst into laughter.

"How right you are! Come, let's drink to that," Reginsleif clapped, raising his glass to a toast.

At the moment their glasses clinked, there was a knock on the door of the room itself. In came one of the guardsmen, a look of worry on his face.