Chapter 38

Kaze and Frey were face to face, only mere metres away from each other.

"Yo~" Frey enthusiastically addressed him with a wink.

"Yo..." Kaze weakly responded, glancing up and down at her weapon.

What Kaze thought was a weird sword turned out to be a scythe instead. The entire thing was black, the blade part fit with weird mechanical structures in between that made it look bendable. It was nothing short of intimidating.

"Ah, don't mind this," Frey lightly swung her scythe forward, creating a purple trail. "It is not as bad as it looks."

"It is!" Kaze facepalmed. "I didn't know you were going to be fighting with a... a..."

"It's common sense to hide these sorts of things from your enemies," Frey smirked, using magic to bend the blade towards her handle. "If I were to show this all the time, people will figure out a counter sooner or later."

"... I'm starting to regret having to face off with you," Kaze sighed, removing his sword from its sheath.

"I will go easy on you, since we're friends~" Frey gestured, the scythe blade bursting open once more into its rigid fighting state. "Plus, you want to look cool in front of a certain someone, right? This is your chance, against the number 2 of the school~"

Since the scythe itself was large in design, Frey held it in the middle part of the handle. She preferred to wield it with one hand instead of two, causing the weight of the blade to increase. As such, her posture for holding it was with the blade facing the ground and the handle facing the sky.

With another purple glow filling the lighter coloured parts of the blade, Frey's eyes flashed a dangerous glare.

"Here I come, Kaze~"

Twisting her wrists to get the scythe spinning, she quickly caught it with her fingers and twirled it around. She then moved on to using her arm strength, going from one hand to another while moving her arms around. The way that it looked like in Kaze's point of view was of Frey setting up the scythe for it to attack.

Since the scythe was such a large weapon, it certainly wasn't any easier to wield it. As such, one of the methods of using it was by what Frey did, starting off with a standard twirl that helped to increase both offensive and defensive power. By offensive, it meant she was able to attack at any time since there wasn't a pre-move, much like how swinging the sword on attack would be raising the entire hand. By defensive, he was unable to carelessly attack as the scythe spinning essentially created a physical barrier capable of deflecting any attacks.

Frey took the first leap, seeing that Kaze wasn't going to make the move. Twisting it to her right hand, she grabbed the handle and swung it vertically downwards, from right to left as if wanting to slice Kaze's body in half.

Kaze responded immediately, raising his sword to block the scythe. Catching it as he would with a normal attack, the scythe bounced off his blade and prompted Frey to twirl her entire body in the opposite direction. Reversing her grip on the scythe, she swung it in a crescent moon angle that brought it from up to down, to upwards again in a vertical slash upwards. Kaze was barely able to block the second attack, considering he had to worry about the curved blade that was perpendicular with the handle.

It helped that the scythe was only single-bladed, or he would have to suffer from the consequence. However, he was already feeling the disadvantage of having not faced such a weapon before. The weight and pressure of facing it was completely different with a sword or magic.

In addition, Frey was actually imbuing her scythe with dark magic, a form of magic that was rarely used by people due to the difficulty in casting it. It wasn't like it was difficult because it was powerful, but it was just the nature of it. For Frey in particular, she was able to match her proficiency in casting dark magic with wielding her scythe, creating a deadly aura from it every time she swung her scythe at another person.