Chapter 49

Sera and the others quickly got caught up with the commotion happening around Tristania. It caused quite the panic within their groups when bandits came out of nowhere, but they have started to realize the peculiarity of the entire situation after chasing down a group themselves.

"Tch, piece of cake," Shoko grunted, tossing one of the limped bandits' bodies onto the ground.

Behind her, Noel and Mitsui had also succeeded in taking down the rest of the bandit hoard without killing them. As they would need to extract as much information as needed while also assisting the guards of the city, they only went as far as to immobilize them and knocked them unconscious.

Now that they had a reason to fight, it wouldn't make sense to continue hiding their identities from the guards. They could simply pose as students who 'happened to come across a group of bandits escaping and took them down in the process' if needed, which would be very convincing given the circumstance.

"How are things on your end?" Shoko spoke into her necklace.

"No good," Rena's slightly distraught voice came from it. "They wouldn't cooperate. I think the magic oozing from their bodies are the source of what that is making them act so weird."

"Hmm, understood. I have already informed Sera to not apprehend them and only observe, we shall wait for her report," Shoko nodded. "It really is too weird, if you think about it."

Bandits that appeared all of a sudden without a reason all over the city, as if they were baiting whoever it was and wherever they were to chase after them. While Shoko and Rena's trio fought their own group of bandits that seemed to appear out of nowhere after mingling with the residences, it was clear they were different than what normal bandits would ordinarily act like.

Starting with the enhancement on their bodies, why would it be that they never made use of it? Clearly, what that was coursing through their bodies and making them seem much more intimidating was the red veins, which was caused from an excess of magic power flowing through them. If they truly were there to cause chaos, why would they not rely on their powers?

Secondly, if they were to cause chaos, why were they simply running around? They didn't even try to take down a guard or two with them but ran around wildly and knocking over people and stalls on the street with the guards chasing them. All the hollering and running around only stopped when they intervened by fighting them. It wasn't even a fight; it was a simple stop-and-arrest.

Thirdly, they wouldn't respond to their questions, regardless of what they were asked. Even if it was simple 'can you hear me?', they would just grunt and struggle.

"Hm, Rena, what do we do?" Noel asked, approaching the elf while Mitsui made sure to look out for the captured bandits. "I don't think we can get anywhere with this."

"I know. We can't let these bandits off on their own either," Rena sighed. "Can you direct some of the guards here if you see any around us? There should be some on normal patrol."

"Got it," Noel nodded and ran off on her own. "Mitsui, I will leave them to you first."

"Ehh~ please come back soon. I feel uncomfortable being here with Rena only," Mitsui made a small frown when Noel left, but didn't refute the action taken.

"Rena, are you there?" Sera's voice brought Rena back from her absentminded gaze at Mitsui. "I have an update."

"Yes, Sera?"

"Um... are you aware that the dragonkin sisters are here?"

"Uh, they should be at the palace or someplace safe. I don't see them around."