Chapter 58

Reginsleif had just sat down on his armchair when Laevia came over to his side and sat on his lap sideways.

"Is something wrong, my love?" Reginsleif asked his wife, looking up at her.

"Does something need to be wrong for me to get some cuddles with my husband?" Laevia asked with a giggle, rubbing her head against him.

"No, except that today we have a few interesting guests joining us for the next 2 weeks," Reginsleif smiled. "Come on, I know when something's up. Are you worried about our daughter?"

"Wrong. Rather than worry, I have been thinking a little bit about Kaze," Laevia shook her head at her husband's guess. "I don't know if you noticed, but that boy is closer with our daughter than I had expected."

"Is this an issue of 'that' again?" Reginsleif felt a little more concerned after hearing the way his wife had phrased her words. "Laevia, you know that we-"

"I know, I'm not saying it was a mistake to have invited them over," Laevia stopped her husband from misunderstanding her intentions. "I just thought this is a good chance to see how far Lunaria has managed to overcome her fears."

Reginsleif turned silent at this. Looking away uncomfortably, his wife made a bitter smile. The two understood that this subject was a sore point for their family, in particular Lunaria. It was also what led to the closure of Aravel's borders from the outside world for half a century, something that had became a sensitive issue amongst the dragonkins of the nation.

As the Emperor, Reginsleif was only able to fulfil Lunaria's request for inviting her friends over by making certain compromises. Dragonkins lived a long age, meaning that nearly the entire population had not forgotten the events of the past century. Allowing humans to re-enter their nation had caused a rather huge controversy. This was also the reason why the notice of invitation arrived at Tristania so late, since they had to deal with the backlash received. When Kaze and his friends first came, they couldn't sense the animosity towards them due to constant reassurance by the Emperor himself.

Even now, it was going to be hard to change the opinion of the masses if they didn't do something. This was also why Reginsleif could understand his wife's reluctance, despite Lunaria's enthusiasm. Lunaria, of all people, best understood the situation she would be in if she invited her human friends over. However, her parents couldn't refuse this request because it was clear to them that this was the only way of improving Lunaria's condition.

"... How is Lunaria doing?" Reginsleif asked softly, feeling a slight headache coming.

"Doing better," Laevia sighed. "Dear, are we doing the right thing?"

"I don't know, my love... I truly don't."

- - - - - -

"Oi, where are you going?"

"Just a walk around the palace. I want to explore the place for a bit."

"Are you sure that's allowed?"

"Should I come with you? I think it would be better if you had a guide."

Kaze addressed the concerns of his friends as he got ready to leave the common room. Showing them the pamphlet in hand, he was confident in himself to not get lost within the palace grounds.

It had only been minutes since the group settled down together at the common room of the guest wing of the palace. With so much to talk about, it was peculiar that Kaze wanted to walk around on his own despite there being no clear restriction on allowing them to traverse the halls of the palace. Chris, Noel and Sera respectively questioned Kaze's behaviour, only to be met with a reassuring smile from him.