Chapter 16 - The Gala

Madalyne's POV

Madalyne's POV

Couple of nights ago, when Ian found out that I was in Xavier's house, he flipped out and began uttering shit that weakened from the inside.

"He doesn't love you, if he did then why did you come home crying? Huh?" He hisses, tears gather in my eyes at his cruel words which seem ostensible at this point. If he cared about me opening up, he would never kick me out like that.

"It's all just an act to sleep with you," Ian's face expresses an evil grin. Did Xavier act hurt just to make me follow him and have sex with me? I don't know what's true anymore.

"I told you and I am telling you again; nobody cares about your feelings but I do so, baby, I do-."

"I asked you something," Ian glares at me, waiting for my response. Stay strong Madalyne, don't let him ruin your night.

"Well, I don't have to answer you," With a cold tone, I utter. Putting my keys inside my purse and begin to walk towards the elevator when grasps my upper arm, probably for a bruise, "Leave me or I'll scream." He immediately let go with flare nostrils. Without hesitating, I run towards the elevator and get to Oscar's car where they are waiting for me. They do notice my tension but I brush it off with a laugh.

We soon reach the expensive looking avenue decorated with extreme opulence and meticulous care. Oscar introduces me to some famous members in the medical department as well as some researchers whom I look up to. Thrilled by the situation, I don't realize when everyone started a dance. We three stay right by each other and observe the gala.

"Madalyne, I want you to meet someone," Oscar yells in my ear through the music. He motions to someone behind me as I turn around to see who.

"Meet Cassandra Dabbs, she is a nurse and also sister of a good friend of mine," I stare at the redhead in shock. I saw her that morning entering Xavier's house. I don't think she recognizes me as she flashes a smile at me and offers a handshake.

"Hey, I am Madalyne Colson," I accept her hand.

"It is so nice to meet you," Cassandra says.

"Likewise....," I smile back. Oscar seems to notice our awkwardness and my anxiousness so tries to keep up the conversation.

"So Sandra, brought any date?" Blush takes over her cheeks as soon as Oscar asks her. She nods and points to somewhere behind her. The loud music and bustling of people make it harder for us to find where she is pointing. She looks somewhere and ushers the person to come here.

"Oh fucking hell!" Both Oscar and Owen curse as soon as they see the person but I have to push Owen back just to see who it is. My whole body stiffens when my eyes lay in the very man ambling towards us. Xavier's eyes finally flicker to me when his steps freeze.

Of course, I should have seen this coming. He is just punishing me for everything, maybe for that day when he saw Ian and I together. A pang of jealousy shoots through my heart as I watch Cassandra grabbing Xavier's arm and introducing Xavier to us. His shocked eyes never leave mine as he doesn't even acknowledge anyone else in the room.