Chapter 54 - Hideout (Part I)

Xavier's POV

Xavier's POV

The wheels whir monotonously on the misty and slippery road. My hand grip the steer wheel as my eyes fixate on the road. Despite the frosty weather, the window is rolled all the way down in order to let in fresh air.

My mind has not still learned to cope without Madalyne. Everything, from the passing cars to the passing clouds, seems frustrating to me.

Her fragrance still roams in my car as I take a deep inhale. The open windows are not doing shit. I am this close to driving back to the campus and bringing her with me.

Just now, I dropped her off at the campus before getting back on the road. And I seem to miss her more as the time passes. Since the New Year's Eve, Madalyne and I cannot let go of each other even for a minute.

Whenever I work, Madalyne would somehow tempt and convince me to pause everything and cuddle and makeout with her. And the same goes whenever she's working. But I have to resist myself sometimes because I don't want to distract Madalyne from her work and study too much.

My thoughts get interrupted when my phone vibrates in my pocket. Clicking my tongue, I receive the call, "Hello? Yes, Owen?"

"Hey, lad, is it possible for you to come to the headquarters?" Owen speaks in haste, making my brows frown.

"Like, right now?"

"Yeah, right now!" I can hear the urgency in his voice.

"Aight, I'll be there in ten minutes.....," Cutting off the line, I speed up the pace of the car and head to the destination. It has to be something important otherwise not a soul, except my love, calls me early this morning.

...................

The tires screech as soon as I press the brakes. Getting out of the car and striding inside the entrance, I hit the lift. Once I reach the ninth floor, I begin to search for Owen only to find him in my office.

"Is everything alright? What's so urgent?" My voice causes Owen to snap his head towards me.

"I know it's early.... but it's worth it!" Owen says before lifting up his tab, "Here, take a look..."

On the screen, it shows a man in a familiar outfit walking down an abandoned street, followed by two figures. Three of them are covered from head to toe, making it impossible to recognise any of them.

Then something clicks in my mind, "It's that Donovan bastard, isn't it?" My jaw clenches upon recalling him.

"Has to be... and we've gathered more information on his whereabouts and this man has been seen multiple times in this area," Owen informs as I process his words. An idea stirs in my mind but I'm not quite sure about the outcome.

My eyes flicker to Owen who leans against the desk, "I shall pay a visit-,"

Owen's eyes widen, "Before you do something you shouldn't, think about Madalyne."

I always think about her.

That's why I need to do this. I have to make sure of her safety. If I am in danger, so is Madalyne. And I'd do anything to prevent that.

"Send me the location. I will go alone." Owen parts his lips to say something but goes against it. I head outside the office and soon out of the building to my car.

Let's end this once and for all.

...............

Decelerating the car down the street, I turn off the ignition. I don't even know whether that bustard is even here or not. The place looks extremely old and abandoned with absolutely no transport passing by or any soul. Worn out shrubs and weeds have taken shelter over the undetectable paths.

By the end of the road, a construction building can be seen. Seems as if it has been like this for years as the stained walls are half built and the metals rods are rusted. Vines twine down the walls, decayed flowers all over it.

About half an hour has passed; still there is no sign of anyone passing by. I am not sure whether this is the correct spot or not. Maybe it was until they shifted somewhere else. Maybe they won't return until night.

Or maybe they are already inside.

A part of me screams to step out and head inside the building however I try to resist myself to do so.

And I horribly fail.

My feet stamp onto the ground before I shut the door. I fix the gun in my waist. Back at the headquarters, just as I got into the car, Owen came running to hand me the gun for safety. I did hesitate to take it at first. Not because I cannot use it but only because out of rage, I do things without thinking. I learned how to use guns and knives just for fun. But little did I know, I would have to carry one.

As soon as I step inside, a malodorous smell welcomes me, almost causing me to let out a cough. The sound of my footsteps echo as I unintendedly step into spilled water on the concrete floor. Fuck, I need to be more quite.

Soon I reach the upstairs after searching the whole ground floor. Something on the floor catches my eyes. Stains of footsteps. Either it's a trap leading me to somewhere dangerous or a worker has been here.

Either way, I cannot leave without checking. So I follow the steps which lead me to another floor. I am absolutely at the right place.

A huge table is set in the middle with a pendant light hanging from above. Chairs are spread out on either side with suitcases and bags kept on them. There is nothing on the table as it looks swept clean, leaving no trace.

Curiosity trickles through my mind as I walk over to the scene. It is a perfect place for a hideout; everything stationed on this floor looks new. I lift one of the black bags and feel the weight from it.

I open the zip and rummage through the bag only to find nothing but dark clothes. And I am damn sure these are Donovan's. I move on to the next bag and find female clothes which make me move to the next one immediately.

'There is a woman?'

The question revolves in my head while I search through another bag. The first thing that I find is a heavy file. My first instinct is to take it out and look through.

My fingers clutch onto the file as I find pictures of Madalyne and I. My fingers fumble with the photos which display Madalyne and I on dates, me dropping her on campus, us at events. There are pictures of Atlas, Theo and the boys too. Fuck.

As soon as I reach towards the end of the pile, rage takes over me.

However, before I can react, a psychotic laugh erupts from behind me.

My head snaps around and my hand automatically takes out the gun. My eyes widen as I stare at the figure before me.

I should have known.

Vote & comment