Chapter 17 - The Drunk Madalyne

Xavier's POV

Xavier's POV

My eyes glare at the bizarre bruise as my nostrils flare in anger. I want to hiss out loud and ask her about it but I know my venomous tone will scare her therefore I ask her softly, "How did you get this?" My gentle voice whispers.

Madalyne frantically looks around her body before her eyes landing on the formed bruise. Her eyes grow dark and she vigorously gulps, "I-I don't know," She mumbles softly. Before she can process anything, I lift her up in bridal style when she gasps in surprise. She doesn't say anything, instead just stares at me with her honey brown eyes.

We receive a few glances, more like Madalyne receives a few dirty glances making me glare at them menacingly until their feet wobble. After an elevator ride, we reach a huge apartment room when my angel suddenly gasps in amazement, "Wowww, there are rooms on the upper floors? I thought it was just a building with lots of dark hallways and weird stairs," I chuckle at her drunken description.

Reaching the bed, I tenderly lay down Madalyne as to me she is the most significant being to me. I move away to fetch a glass of water and return afterwards when I find Madalyne examining her bruise. "Does it hurt?"

Madalyne stares at me for a while before uttering, "No, but you know what hurts?" I shake my head in question and concern.

Lifting my hand, she puts my palm on her left side of the chest, "My heart."

My hand spasms in goosebumps as my heart aches in pure guilt and anguish upon her confession. I know how it feels when it hurts there, I am used to it but I don't want my angel to go through the same, "Why does it hurt, my love?" For the first time since she has forbidden me, I call her 'love'. My mouth always itches to call her so but I have to stop myself at the last second.

"It always hurts but that day....after I told you about my past....you told me to leave.....that hurt the most," The last part comes out in a whisper. My arms immediately wrap around her as her head rests on my chest.

"I am so sorry, I know I hurt you badly but I only did that to protect you. I could not risk you being in danger, I am so sorry......," My voice trembles as I hold her tightly.

"Why don't you say that to other Madalyne," She mutters against my chest.

"And who might that other Madalyne be?" I sarcastically chuckle.

"Sober Madalyne, duh.....," Lifting her head, she dramatically rolls her eyes. Sober Madalyne is lucky she isn't here otherwise she would never dare to throw that little attitude. We cuddle in silence as we admire the view outside the huge glass window. The lights reflecting from the city seem microscopic and the buildings look miniature. The terrestrial sky glooms in pitch black and fading clouds scatter all over. Our serene moment is soon interrupted when I hear low sniffs. My eyes flicker to my angel whose lips are quivering and eyes watery.

"What happened? Are you alright? Please, don't cry-," Panic engulfs my mind but she cuts me off by putting her finger on my lips, making me silent.

"Xavier....a-are you moving on?" Her question immerses me with intense shock and astonish. Why does she think that? Who told her that? Did I make her think that I moved on? Or I want to?

"No, no, no.... please don't ever think like that...I will never move on from you, my love, not in this lifetime. Why do you think so?" My hands cup her cheeks. I wipe her tears with my thumbs.

"B-because that day...while I was leaving our house, I saw another girl- the one I saw with you before....umm....I just want to know whether you want to move on or not...," My eyes becomes glossy upon her words as she continues, "....It's okay if you do, I won't be in your way but you didn't have to kick me out like that.... I just wanted to spend some time with you....you did-," Before she can utter any other words, I seal our lips into an intense kiss.

"You talk too much," Her hands clutch my collar and my arms snake around her waist. Our kiss grows deep when her hands snake up to my hair and ruffles my slicked hair into a mess. Laughter erupts between our kisses, "I have been wanting to do that since I came here," She flashes a smile.

"Just like I said before, I will never move on or see any other woman because all the time all I see is the woman in my arms now," I chuckle at my own cheesy line.

"So you brought her as your date only?" Madalyne asks, making me frown. Date? I ask her what date when she continues, "That lady told us that she was your date......," Fucking hell, Cassandra Dabbs. I never thought she would do that. Dabbs knows about Madalyne, she very well knows who Madalyne is and what she means to me because I used to talk about her all the time.

That morning, after Madalyne left, Dabbs appeared out of nowhere to ask about my health. She heard me talking about the charity party after which she also revealed that would go too, so being the annoying being she is, she insisted for me to give her a ride.

'Remind me to never do anyone any favor'

"Shhhh.....don't tell Sober Madalyne that I told you all this....shhh," She keeps pressing her finger on my lips as I admire her. My angel never once told me to not move on, she says that she has no problem with it but I know deep down she is hurt because I once said the same thing. Because of me her pure and gentle heart is being conflicted...because of me.

"I won't," I kiss her knuckles, "You and sober Madalyne are so strong and I am proud of you."

"You won't leave me like others, right?" Her adorable voice whispers.

"Never...."

"My friends don't even talk to me anymore, my dad is too busy, Oscar and Owen are always busy. I have no one else to talk to-," I cut her off.

"Don't say that, you have me, you always have me," Upon hearing my truthful words, she pulls away and glares at me.

"That's what you said the last time....that's what everyone says, but eventually, I am left all alone. I don't blame them because..... they have their own lives to live; they have their lovers, family, jobs. I totally understand that but I always feel as if something is missing....so my heart always aches for at least someone to be with me....," Pointing to her heart, she talks it all out between sobs. Tears flow out of me as well, my whole body shivers and chills.

"When you broke up with me.....you hurt Sober Madalyne so...much," Her cries grow louder, "She stayed with you for five days by your side.....wishing, praying, crying all day and night for you to wake up but you were being a dick as soon as you did," My whole body stiffens in utter shock. She stayed with me all the time? And what did I do? Fucking broke up with her. Never have I hated myself so much.

"It's all okay because you have a lot to figure out and I respect that.....but don't ever tell me to leave... it hurts.... I don't want to be away from you.....," She breaks down in front of me, causing me to hold her close as I can't help but sob with her.

"He is right.... No one wants to stay with me for long...," Madalyne mumbles to herself, "Everyone fucking leaves me, everyone...."

Before I can ask her who "he" is, she slowly falls into slumber as I watch her. A silent sniffle escapes my lips as my mind flashes to everything she said tonight. I know her sober self would never tell me all these but I am glad tonight her drunk self did. Now I know where I have messed up and I have to fix all of it.

I have hurt her so much but she is so strong and unbreakable. I have to protect her from everything and everyone, and for that I have to be there with her. This time I won't mess up.

I kiss her forehead and pull the duvet over us and I soon fall asleep with my angel in my arms.

Vote and Comment