Chapter 19 - Baby Steps

Madalyne's POV

Madalyne's POV

Everything else muffles as I only feel my heartbeat stomping against my chest. I take deep breaths and gulps. Xavier slowly ambles towards us with hands still clenched in tight fists and clenched jaw. His sharp eyes still glaring at Jason.

Jason looks like he knows exactly what's coming upon him tonight. He should have never said those things. Both of the men glare at each other with hate and all the other abhorrence.

Unexpectedly, Xavier reaches for my hand and interlaces. He then takes a step forward, pushing me back, "Stay the fuck away from her," He growls in a low tone. With one last glare at Jason, Xavier pulls me close to him and leads us to the game room where everyone is already gathered with wide eyes. I look back to see Jason with a monotonous expression as he turns to go upstairs.

"We are not coming here from tomorrow if that bastard is going to be here," Xavier growls as we settle down. I feel shocked from what happened earlier; shocked because I never ever thought he would go without a fight. He has changed so much and I am so proud of it. For once, he handles the situation with a detrimental reaction.

'He has changed for you, idiot' My inner voice echoes. Sometimes, I wonder if he still loves me or not. After what I have done, I don't think I deserve his love, care and affection. Why didn't I say it back despite the fact that I love him so much? I always will.

"X, I will make sure even his shadow does not fall on Madalyne," Thomas says in a serious tone. Everyone else is still shocked to see such a non-violent reaction from Xavier.

"Ugh- it's nothing I cannot handle. All he can do is talk shit," I roll my eyes and chuckle. I just don't understand Jason who came into my life uninvited and his intentions. Surely he is no harm. We soon start working on our project with Xavier staring at me all the time. After about two hours of constant brainstorming and tearing papers, we finally make some progress and call it a night. Thomas and Joseph bid everyone goodbyes and we all head to our cars.

"You look beautiful," Xavier whispers in my ear and kisses my forehead.

"You have said that for about thirty times now," I chuckle, kissing both of his cheeks. Xavier and I walk up to my car with his arm around my waist.

"That's still not enough," He again kisses my cheek; something I can never grow tired of.

"I have to go," I try to get out of his warmth but his masculine arms capture me with no way out.

"I don't want you to," He murmurs, nudging into my hair, "Come to my place with me." I narrow my eyes at his proposal, more like a demand, "I promise I'll keep my hands to myself."

"Uh-huh?" I smirk as I motion to his arms wrapped around me to which he chuckles, "Fine, but what about my car?"

"DON'T WORRY, I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT!" A loud yell echoes throughout the driveway, causing us to look behind Xavier. Thomas quickly covers his mouth and hides himself behind the front doors. I laugh out at his sneaky action while Xavier glares at his friend.